Premed 101 Forums

U of T Personal Statement vs AMCAS Personal Statement

joshto

Can these essays be interchanged? I have already written one, can I just use it for the other?

I think there is some difference in the two. While AMCAS essay typically has a theme or a central point, UofT is more of a collection of your experiences. It also asks to justify your pre-med studies (which AMCAS doesn't I think and I personally didn't do it).

Ugh I was hoping to use my AMCAS essay with a few tweaks but it sounds like I better get to work on my U of T essay then. :(

Rach - I think you can reuse most of AMCAS' essay for UofT. At least that is what I plan to do.

Here's what AMCAS wants (from their website):

Use the Personal Comments essay as an opportunity to distinguish yourself from other applicants. Some questions you may want to consider while writing this essay are:

• Why have you selected the field of medicine?

• What motivates you to learn more about medicine?

• What do you want medical schools to know about you that hasn't been disclosed in another section of the application?

In addition, you may wish to include information such as:

• Special hardships, challenges or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits.

• Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record that are not explained elsewhere in your application.

The available space for your response is 5300 characters, or approximately one full page. You will receive an error message if you exceed the available space.

The requirement from UofT is

All applicants are required to submit an original personal statement, in an essay of 1,000 words or less. As a general guideline, the statement should address and discuss the applicant's personal background, including particular interests and extracurricular experiences. Candidates should outline their choice of, and preparation for, a career in medicine. Applicants should also describe their premedical studies, expanding on what they have chosen to pursue and how this has prepared them for their future, including a career in medicine.

To me both sound very similar. The only difference is that the length (AMCAS 5300 characters and UofT 1000 words).

The only major difference I can see between the two is that UofT wants to talk about your extra curricular activities. If your extracurricular activities (research, volunteering, etc) is geared towards medicene then there should not be much difference.

Dont waste too much time in writing a new essay.

Archived