Premed 101 Forums

MCAT rewrite?

magiman

It depends on what you're aiming for. If you want a top, top tier school (e.g. Harvard, JHU), you may want to re-write as your chances of getting in will substantially increase with a 36+.

However, if you're aiming for mid to low-tier schools, then a 32 is more than sufficient if you have a good GPA and ECs, and you apply early!

Your breakdown is very similar to mine (including the verbal score) and I have 5 interviews in the US...hope this helps!

well my US GPA is 3.85, my mcat is a 32R, my extracurriculars are very good ( i bleive - but I do not have as much clinical/hospital volunteering).

I think you could be successful if you put some time into writing great essays. I wouldn't retake it if it was me.

A good tool for you may be the spreadsheet. It tells you where you stand in terms of your GPA and MCAT... just remember to use this with a grain of salt...as it does NOT take into consideration ECs, LORs, personal statement, etc.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527971

Ugh. That spreadsheet makes me wonder wth I applied to WashU for. They should stop sending out those mails to people that aren't likely to get in.

bjut i am sure u ahve to take this with a grain of salt.. because its probably meant for americans applying to american schools. i can imagine our stats must be slightly higher in order to get in

Take that spreadsheet with a massive grain of salt. It's true that it will be more difficult for us as Canadians at some (not all) of the schools. A lot of schools consider us "Out of State", and some of the private schools don't consider us any differently than Americans!

But as c17h and rach mentioned, the schools in the states will look at your whole application, including your essays and LORs - the effect of which can't be quantified in a spreadsheet.

If your stats are in the general range (your MCAT is for a lot of the schools, and your GPA is above average for most), and you are skilled at expressing yourself through essays/short answers, you should have success in getting interviews. Just remember to start your application early (May/June)!

Also you mentioned you don't have much clinical volunteering. Maybe look into doing something this year before you apply - American schools really seem to value clinical experience and you probably won't regret it.

Those scores are definitely enough for most of the schools in the US! :) Maybe not the high tier schools as c17h mentioned. They look at your file as a whole, so having good essays and experience helps a lot. My scores are not great, actually I'm quite embarrassed about my essay mcat score. However, I have a nice bit of experience and put a lot of effort into my essays, and got 4 interviews so far. If you want to know my scores, you can PM me.

Archived