Premed 101 Forums

Non-Science LOR

c17h

I received an email from Mount Sinai telling me that I need a non-science LOR. For other schools, they have accepted lab/research professors that I did an independent research project with as non-science. If I can't find a non-science LOR, then I have to write a letter to the committee explaining the situation.

My problem is that I never made an impression on any of my non-science profs. Is it better to have a VERY generic letter from a non-science prof or write a letter to the committee??

Please help - any advice is appreciated!!

I received an email from Mount Sinai telling me that I need a non-science LOR. For other schools, they have accepted lab/research professors that I did an independent research project with as non-science. If I can't find a non-science LOR, then I have to write a letter to the committee explaining the situation.

My problem is that I never made an impression on any of my non-science profs. Is it better to have a VERY generic letter from a non-science prof or write a letter to the committee??

Given that your letter would be very late by the time it is written and loaded into AMCAS, on top of being generic, I would opt for the letter to the committee.....

I would write a letter to the committee. Mt. Sinai accepted my psychiatry research supervisor as non-science. Explain the situation to them and mention that your research supervisor never taught you science lectures. Although the letter writer may technically be a "science professor" your relationship to them is researcher/supervisor and not science student/ science teacher.

Unfortunately, employer doesn't seem to cut it either. This is what they wrote to me:

"Non-Science letter should be any course that does not fall under the science Department. For example English, math, art, history, music; we do not accept lab/research or work letters as a non-science"

Although it seems that rmitch was able to get by with lab/research as non-science...hmm...maybe I'll write that letter...

Yes, if you're marked as complete, it should mean you've fulfilled the requirements. For Mount Sinai, they told me in the email that I haven't been marked as complete because they do not have the appropriate letters of reference yet.

Yes, if you're marked as complete, it should mean you've fulfilled the requirements. For Mount Sinai, they told me in the email that I haven't been marked as complete because they do not have the appropriate letters of reference yet.

Oh ok. I thought you had called them and confirmed that you were complete, and then they sent you this email.

Archived