Premed 101 Forums

Debating a remark.

The Ace of Spades

I don't understand how the mark will change at all?

It was a computer based MCQ test? It was corrected by a computer program, not a person.

And your essays were graded by a person, but also a robot. The robot is not going to change its marking algorithm for what happened last time

And your essays were graded by a person, but also a robot. The robot is not going to change its marking algorithm for what happened last time

But the person might.

I wouldn't get a remark though. You have little to gain, and your score is competitive anyway. If you have the GPA to back it up, you should be fine.

I am also in the same boat, but I figured it would be a waste of money to ask for a remark. Of course theres a small chance your mark will raise, but will it raise two letters to a Q? If your writing score goes up to a P, you likely wont be satisfied as it still prevents you from getting interviews at Western and Queens. I am not sure about the other med schools but I think a P wont be a big difference maker.

It was a computer based MCQ test? It was corrected by a computer program, not a person.

I thought it was 2 differnet people, each of whom read one of your essays, then gives you a mark out of 6.

But then again, the GRE has a computer mark the essays almost always in line with what a human marker scores the essay...

I meant just getting the WS remarked. I don't know why anyone would bother getting the multiple choice part remarked...

Of course theres a small chance your mark will raise, but will it raise two letters to a Q? ... I think a P wont be a big difference maker.

That's a good point. Getting 37P isn't such a big difference from 37O. They're both average-ish.

Hi, got my results back recently and I'm sitting at 12/11/14 O.

I was debating whether or not to request a remark from AAMC. I won't be writing again, since my numbers are high enough and my WS is decent. But it doesn't quite meet the cutoffs at some schools, nor is it the average for matriculants at UBC (Mean = P).

If I get a remark done, it would cost $55. Plus, there's a chance the mark would go down and I'll have shot myself in the foot and wasted a perfectly good MCAT score.

I have about a week to decide this, and I was looking for some further input.

My dad, a doctor, said not to worry about it since WS carries little weight. Of course, I'm sure things have changed a bit since the twenty years or so since he went to school. Does the WS carry as much weight as the rest of the MCAT, considering my VR is high too?

Oh how I empathize with your O, I also have an O and now I don't know if I should plan to rewrite just for WS?

Hi, got my results back recently and I'm sitting at 12/11/14 O.

I was debating whether or not to request a remark from AAMC. I won't be writing again, since my numbers are high enough and my WS is decent. But it doesn't quite meet the cutoffs at some schools, nor is it the average for matriculants at UBC (Mean = P).

If I get a remark done, it would cost $55. Plus, there's a chance the mark would go down and I'll have shot myself in the foot and wasted a perfectly good MCAT score.

I have about a week to decide this, and I was looking for some further input.

My dad, a doctor, said not to worry about it since WS carries little weight. Of course, I'm sure things have changed a bit since the twenty years or so since he went to school. Does the WS carry as much weight as the rest of the MCAT, considering my VR is high too?

Last year, I got an N in my WS, and I had the same dilemma that you have (except mine was slightly worse). I finally did decide to get it re-marked, and a long time later, I was told my WS was now worth an O.

But you have a bit more at stake than I did... I don't think it will go down significantly, so if O doesn't meet the cutoffs, then it doesn't meet the cutoffs. No harm in rescoring it. It just depends on what schools you're looking into, and whether having it go down to say an N will hurt you even more.

I agree with spiderp...the only thing you have to loose is $55 (even if money is tight it's worth it)...Unfortunately the O score in WS is not competitive. So it won't really affect your application if it goes down. I would advise otherwise if you were sitting on a Q (because for schools that look Q to P could hurt you at some schools)

good luck

________

Vermont Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

I have the same issue. I have a P, and need a Q for Queen's/Western. Should I have it rescored? What if my score goes down, and this is the year that the cut-off for Western is magically a P?

It's a calculated risk: stating the obvious, the marks can either go up or down. You will only know if it was the right thing to do when its too late to turn back. I'm a firm believer in following your first instinct. If you immediately felt like rescoring then I would say do that; if you instantly had doubts then hold off. Tough decision.

Moving up one letter? Maybe. Two letters? Unlikely.

Your score looks good for the US where they throw the score out the window (makes you wonder why all sections of a US based test don't actually all matter in the US). Unless you seriously get some help/take a univ writing course/practice a lot with the WS, I wouldn't go through hell just for that. Like somebody said, some Canadian schools look differently at it, but Ont especially is firm with cutoffs (an easier way to trim the applicant pool).

When your essays were scored like everyone else's, two markers marked it. If there was a large discrepancy in marks, a third person would've marked it. Because of this, it really seems like scores won't really change in the end.

Question, is there any way to tell if the AAMC has received your re-score request yet?

I sent mine in 3 weeks ago... if they haven't received it, then I'm screwed because it's past the 30-day mark after my scores were released. I tried calling them but was on hold forever. I emailed but no response yet. They're so annoying to deal with!

The best indicator would be if they took your money (ie see if cheque is cashed or withdrawal made). Otherwise, you may have to deal with the phone hold and get an answer. AAMC people are pleasant to deal with, so just be patient to get to speak to one of them. Because the busy MCAT season is over, likely people are taking vacation or seasonal layoffs happened.

IMO - not worth the risk of the Q going down after a rescore. Q is most likely going to be fine. It's unlikely the R thing will repeat this year.

im dead serious

i've heard the chance of the score going down is miniscule.

if it stays the same, or goes up, obviously i can handle that.

My situation may be different from most: I've only applied to UT and Queens in Ontario.

My score going down only hurts me a bit with other schools in Canada and does not hurt me at UT.

I need to ensure i meet Queens and the rest of my MCAT will for sure.

so that's my issue in a nutshell. I'll make my call in 24 hrs!!

You'll be kicking yourself if your score drops and the cut-off is still a Q.

i'd be kicking myself if it goes to R as well (I had R on a previous MCAT, but had a 9 VR on it).

i called aamc and the person i spoke to said he has heard it is very rare and that he personally had not seen a score decrease. just a sample of 1 but stil........

i know its a decision that's killing me....all liklihood it stays at Q

Archived