Premed 101 Forums

Visa/Greencard question

Premed3

Hey guys...

Currently in 3rd year, and I'm planning to apply to US schools in the coming summer.

Now I know Canadians are considered international students at almost every US med school, and have to get visas like F or some other type (not sure exactly).

Well, my dad's company expanded to the US last year (it's a Canadian based company). They opened a couple stores in Buffalo, and plan on opening more in I think California or something, not sure.

Anyways, my dad filled out L1 visa application for himself and my family, sent it to our lawyer, and told my dad that my family has to go to the border very soon because it's some requirement? Not sure, but I guess he's close to getting the visa (anyone know this process?)

Now, my dad told me that the L1 visa makes it easy to get the greencard. Does anyone know the time frame from L1 visa to greencard (in time for applying for med school)? And will the greencard help at all for applying to the US? If it helps to know the position, my dad is he VP in the company, one of my uncles is president (not bragging or anything, just clarifying the details).

Thanks guys!

Hey guys...

Currently in 3rd year, and I'm planning to apply to US schools in the coming summer.

Now I know Canadians are considered international students at almost every US med school, and have to get visas like F or some other type (not sure exactly).

Well, my dad's company expanded to the US last year (it's a Canadian based company). They opened a couple stores in Buffalo, and plan on opening more in I think California or something, not sure.

Anyways, my dad filled out L1 visa application for himself and my family, sent it to our lawyer, and told my dad that my family has to go to the border very soon because it's some requirement? Not sure, but I guess he's close to getting the visa (anyone know this process?)

Now, my dad told me that the L1 visa makes it easy to get the greencard. Does anyone know the time frame from L1 visa to greencard (in time for applying for med school)? And will the greencard help at all for applying to the US? If it helps to know the position, my dad is he VP in the company, one of my uncles is president (not bragging or anything, just clarifying the details).

Thanks guys!

Being a permanent resident may open more doors for you to apply to a school that accepts OOS but not international; however, if you haven't established a state of residence, you will be considered OOS wherever you apply which may not really hold an advantage.

In terms of getting a Green Card, I'm assuming your dad would try to qualify under the Green Card through Investment application: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=cf54a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=cf54a6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD . Hopefully you are still under 21 by the time of processing of any such application by your dad.

I'm no expert, but I would expect that applications of this nature take close to a year to get approval, and there are caps as to how many people are approved by this route per year. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Well if there's no advantage, I guess that sucks.

Currently I'm 20...birthday is in July, so I got 9-10 months left? Doesn't matter though even if I get my greencard and I gain no advantage : \

I don't know much, but if you're turning 21 in 9-10 months, then you're probably not gonna make it. I heard this process takes years, hopefully somebody who knows more can clarify/specify the timeframe.

But I believe getting a greencard should help in some way along the route? (residency, practicing)?

Hey guys...

Thanks guys!

My dad also went through a similar situation...he currently works in America on the L1 visa...he's been there for 3 years and is still going through the green card process... people from Canada who went years before him are still in the process of getting their green card... so it's a very LONG process.

I applied this year as an international student. It's tough, but it can definitely be done. Apply early and strategically, write a solid personal statement, have good ECs...hopefully with a good MCAT and GPA...you will get accepted somewhere!

As mentioned, the GC process can take years and by that time you would be +21 years and not a dependent.

You will need to apply to schools who treat Canadians as OOS instead of international. All you would then need is to get a regular student visa; come residency, you can try a CARMS match or get a J visa for the states.

As mentioned, the GC process can take years and by that time you would be +21 years and not a dependent.

You will need to apply to schools who treat Canadians as OOS instead of international. All you would then need is to get a regular student visa; come residency, you can try a CARMS match or get a J visa for the states.

Why would he have to do that?

Why would he have to do that?

Sorry for any confusion - I was typing faster than logic or sense. :rolleyes:

What I should have said that it's better to focus mainly on the schools that treat Canadians as out of state instead of international. Why? The schools that openly accept all international applicants will get a large # of foreign applicants and the Canadian is lumped in with the big group. Lower chances IMHO. The school that treats a Canadian the same as any other USA out of state applicant should then have potentially a better chance at acceptance. Unofficially I've read that some of those schools are "Canadian friendly" and their official application rules reflect that. Remember they are basically treating you the same as an American citizen/resident, while every other nationality in the world is excluded. Safe to assume that they regard a Canadian differently than a school that lumps a Canadian in with a 100+ other countries.

Never meant to imply that one should never apply to a school accepting international applicants.

Sorry for any confusion - I was typing faster than logic or sense. :rolleyes:

What I should have said that it's better to focus mainly on the schools that treat Canadians as out of state instead of international. Why? The schools that openly accept all international applicants will get a large # of foreign applicants and the Canadian is lumped in with the big group. Lower chances IMHO. The school that treats a Canadian the same as any other USA out of state applicant should then have potentially a better chance at acceptance. Unofficially I've read that some of those schools are "Canadian friendly" and their official application rules reflect that. Remember they are basically treating you the same as an American citizen/resident, while every other nationality in the world is excluded. Safe to assume that they regard a Canadian differently than a school that lumps a Canadian in with a 100+ other countries.

Never meant to imply that one should never apply to a school accepting international applicants.

Sounds logical but that's definitely not true in practice. It really doesn't make a difference if you're considered OOS or international. What matters is whether they like Canadians or not.

edit: Basically the schools that consider Canadians as OOS aren't necessarily more Canadian friendly than some of the others people apply to.

What matters is whether they like Canadians or not.

That's my point: the schools who treat Canadians different in their official application rules (i.e. allowing us to use the OOS route) are more likely to be Canadian friendly than the schools who treat us the same as the rest of the world's applicants.

cheers

:)

The L1 visa itself has two sub-categories: L1A and L1B. If your Dad happens to be on the L1A visa, then the processing time to get the actual green card after filing the initial application, is less than 1 year.

(The processing time to get a green card, when one has the L1B or the H1B visa, is longer if the principal applicant was born in a country from which there are numerous applications every year. They have a country-wise quota when giving out green cards.)

Also, not sure how a foreigner who graduates from a US medical school will be eligible for the J1 visa. ECFMG sponsors the J1 visa for graduates of foreign (non-LCME/non-AOA) medical schools. If one graduates from a US school, then he/she does not come under ECFMG's jurisdication. Residency programs cannot sponsor the J1 visa. Anyone?

Hey guys...

Thanks guys!

The L1 visa itself has two sub-categories: L1A and L1B. If your Dad happens to be on the L1A visa, then the processing time to get the actual green card after filing the initial application, is less than 1 year.

(The processing time to get a green card, when one has the L1B or the H1B visa, is longer if the principal applicant was born in a country from which there are numerous applications every year. They have a country-wise quota when giving out green cards.)

Also, not sure how a foreigner who graduates from a US medical school will be eligible for the J1 visa. ECFMG sponsors the J1 visa for graduates of foreign (non-LCME/non-AOA) medical schools. If one graduates from a US school, then he/she does not come under ECFMG's jurisdication. Residency programs cannot sponsor the J1 visa. Anyone?

I think J1 is ok... see Ian Wong's response (about halfway down the page) at http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20803

I think J1 is ok... see Ian Wong's response (about halfway down the page) at http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20803

Ian Wong wrote "Of course, if you married that US citizen and got your green card before starting internship/residency, then you'd be set and wouldn't need a visa at all... ".

I guess that's an advantage of the greencard then? Or would I still need to be considered a permanent resident (although if I go to med school in a state for 4 years, I should be considered a perm resident no?).

I'll ask my dad if his visa is an L1. Was at the border yesterday, his said L1, rest of my family, including me, had L2 written on ours.

Thanks again!

Archived