Premed 101 Forums

Does US look at upward trend?

My first year was worse than wrighm6 and I'm having some success this year. I think upward trend definitely does matter - schools recognize that in first-year you are still getting adjusted and aren't as focused on getting that golden GPA you go after in 3rd/4th year.

My first year was worse than wrighm6 and I'm having some success this year. I think upward trend definitely does matter - schools recognize that in first-year you are still getting adjusted and aren't as focused on getting that golden GPA you go after in 3rd/4th year.

Same here. I didn't intend to go for med school back in undergrad so I definitely slacked off, especially in the first 2 years. I think schools assume that even though your overall GPA may be a bit low, you are now able to perform at the level of your most recent grades.

That's one of the great things about US schools - they tend to take a holistic look at your application which can result of 'forgiving' of your academic record if you demonstrate academic apitude in your later years.

Additionally, they look at your MCAT as well - if there are any discrepancies, they'll ask about it in your interviews (happened to me - as my first 2 years weren't that great).

The key thing to remember is that schools are looking for individuals who are capable of handling the medical curriculum and the best tools (for what its worth) are your MCAT and GPA.

Guest viscous

Contrary to what others have said, I will maintain that showing an upward trend in gpa is not that significant in the light of other pre-requisites i.e. cgpa, letters, essays, sketch. I mean to say that showing an amazing upward trend would not change their decision from no interview to interview for you, so far I have not got any interview from the US even though I went from 3.0ish first year to >3.9ish afterwards with full course load. This does not mean that the reason for which I did not get an interview was they didnt care about my upward trend, could be some other deficiencies in my app but it does suggest that the positive responses of this trend is not enough to tip the scales in your favor especially when your application has other areas which they dont like or do not find impressive.

Hope that helps.

by the way, sorry for going from "I" to "you" within the same sentence, typing from a phone has its drawbacks.

Archived