Premed 101 Forums

US credit questions again

dracore

Hi guys,

Just FYI I am not applying for a medical school but rather a medical program in the US. I do not need AMCAS. However, I still need to convert my courses to US equivalent. I have done this through a third party evaluation company (ECE) but now I am stuck with questions in my head about the US Credits that's on the transcript.

ALL courses below I have taken are Continuing Education courses (at Ryerson) except for "Intro to Academic Writing" which is my English course from undergrad.

So my ECE (US equivalent) transcript for the required subjects are:

SUBJECT / US CREDITS

General Chemistry I - 3.00

General Chemistry Lab - 1.50

Organic Chemistry - 1.50

General Chemistry II - 1.50

Biology I - 3.00

Biology II - 3.00

Biochemistry - 1.50

Physics for Health Sciences - 3.00

Organic Chemistry Lab - 1.50

Calculus - 3.00

Introduction to Academic Writing - 3.00

Requirements for the program is that I need:

English - 3 Semester hours

General biology - 6 Semesters hours

General chemistry with lab - 6 Semesters hours

Organic chemistry with lab - 3 Semester hours

Biochemistry - 3 Semester hours

General physics with lab - 6 Semesters hours

Calculus - 3 Semester hours

Based on the US equivalent, it seems like 3.00 US credit = 3 semester hours = 1 semester? Or am I wrong?

What I am not sure is:

1. Biochemistry - I only have 1.50 US credits. There are no other Biochemistry courses to take. How in the world am I supposed to get 3.00??

2. Physics - I don't think I have enough credits so I may need to take more physics? I think I might have taken the wrong one completely?? (Ryerson did not offer Physics for Life Sci 1 and 2 at the time... so I took Physics Health Sci).

Anyone have opinions about what to do about #1 or have come across a similar situation?

And for #2 is just a matter of taking additional physics? Or do I need to start over and take Physics Life Sci 1 and 2.

Do any of your courses have a lab component? Labs generally make the half year course = 4 credits (rather than 3 credits) and full year course = 8 credits (rather than 6 credits).

For #1, I had a similar problem with my inorganic chemistry...my school only offered 7.0 credits whereas most schools wanted 8.0 credits. I emailed many of the schools I was applying to, and most agreed to waive this requirement for me.

However, your discrepancy is from 1.5 to 3.0 credits, so you may need to take another biochem course at another school to fulfill this requirement (since your school doesn't offer any other biochem courses)...but I would highly suggest emailing the school to ask.

For #2, I think you just have to take an additional physics. As long as they don't specifically state what type of physics you need to have for your prereq, I think it should be ok....once again, I suggest emailing the school to confirm this.

Do any of your courses have a lab component? Labs generally make the half year course = 4 credits (rather than 3 credits) and full year course = 8 credits (rather than 6 credits).

For #1, I had a similar problem with my inorganic chemistry...my school only offered 7.0 credits whereas most schools wanted 8.0 credits. I emailed many of the schools I was applying to, and most agreed to waive this requirement for me.

However, your discrepancy is from 1.5 to 3.0 credits, so you may need to take another biochem course at another school to fulfill this requirement (since your school doesn't offer any other biochem courses)...but I would highly suggest emailing the school to ask.

For #2, I think you just have to take an additional physics. As long as they don't specifically state what type of physics you need to have for your prereq, I think it should be ok....once again, I suggest emailing the school to confirm this.

Hi,

Yup some courses have lab components but are not mentioned as separate courses (e.g. Biology). Perhaps I'm missing a lab component for Biochemistry? Kind of like how I have 1.5 cred for Organic Chem but I have an additional lab which makes the total 3.0. In any case, there is no such course at Ryerson. I'm having a tough time trying to find any universities that would have that available as a continuing education course.

Thanks for the info. I have emailed the universities but still haven't received a reply from any of them for the past few days. I'll just have to keep waiting I guess.

Archived