Premed 101 Forums

A little tidbit of info you may be interested in

Hey all, I called the admissions office today to see what the deal was with when decision letters would be emailed out. Even though it says in this year's calendar that they won't come out until May 15, the actual send date is March 15. This is two months earlier than last year, and I figured you guys might be interested in hearing this.

ughh so basically theyre goign to scam everyone whose been accepted $200 each because no one will have heard from other schools yet. : (

Sigh* why is everything so expensive.

Haha, hardly a scam....

Ontario schools require $1000 to hold a spot.

Dal is offering acceptances early.... if you as an applicant only want their acceptance as a contingency plan... then $200 is a very fair price to pay to jump ship to a better offer.

Dal has to look out for themselves somewhat so they can try to get the class together and organized for the upcoming year.

Med school applications are quite expensive, I can agree with you there... but of all the expenses involved I think this small deposit is justified.

Haha, hardly a scam....

Ontario schools require $1000 to hold a spot.

Dal is offering acceptances early.... if you as an applicant only want their acceptance as a contingency plan... then $200 is a very fair price to pay to jump ship to a better offer.

Dal has to look out for themselves somewhat so they can try to get the class together and organized for the upcoming year.

Med school applications are quite expensive, I can agree with you there... but of all the expenses involved I think this small deposit is justified.

I believe ontario schools require only a 100$ deposit for holding seat for two weeks (or to certain date) then they require rest of 900$ to hard confirm seat (you will be removed of waitlist from other Ontario schools)

This is probably to compete with memorial university, as they usually give out acceptance notifications to students in mid march (FOR New Brunswick STUDENTS at least.... maybe dal is only doing this for UNB SJ acceptances w8kg6?)

I believe ontario schools require only a 100$ deposit for holding seat for two weeks (or to certain date) then they require rest of 900$ to hard confirm seat (you will be removed of waitlist from other Ontario schools)

This is probably to compete with memorial university, as they usually give out acceptance notifications to students in mid march (FOR New Brunswick STUDENTS at least.... maybe dal is only doing this for UNB SJ acceptances w8kg6?)

The $1000 however still can act as a hold if you're waiting on a non-Ontario school, but yes among the Ontario schools themselves, once you've paid $1000 you've eliminated all your other offers within Ontario.

I'll gladly turn a blind eye if they want to "scam" me out of $200.

They aren't scamming everyone who is accepted because the $200 goes toward your tuition if you decide to register.

No I understand that. I just thought that all schools were going to release their acceptances/rejections at about the same time.

I wish more schools would offer early acceptance. Imagine how relaxed your other interviews would be if you are sitting there with an early acceptance already in your pocket.

WOW! That's so interesting! Thanks W! I'm quite anxious now..haha and I haven't even got the interview notification yet! But oh well, such is the process, such is the game. Gotta keep reminding myself of that. I mean, so many other things could happen to me within this next little while...can't worry about the future! :)

Archived