Premed 101 Forums

Application Status?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got off the phone with a lady in the admission office, not sure about the due date change but you can submit the reference letters early, they'll just put it in your file :)

Did she tell you when the OOP-ers would know their invite status? I'd rather not ask my refs to write me a LOR, incase I don't make the cutoffs. I suppose I'll wait till mid-jan, before getting antsy. Is everyone else submitting early?

Did she tell you when the OOP-ers would know their invite status? I'd rather not ask my refs to write me a LOR, incase I don't make the cutoffs. I suppose I'll wait till mid-jan, before getting antsy. Is everyone else submitting early?

Sorry, I didn't because I thought Supafield already checked up on that. I only checked the due date(which she confirmed to be Feb.1st) and that if we could submit early.

Why do you need a new letter? Shouldn't you had letters written for you for other schools?

Sorry, I didn't because I thought Supafield already checked up on that. I only checked the due date(which she confirmed to be Feb.1st) and that if we could submit early.

Why do you need a new letter? Shouldn't you had letters written for you for other schools?

Aah, true that. For some reason I thought they'd have to write a new one for me from scratch. Hmm...what to do, what to do? Decisions, decisions.

If for whatever reason, they decide not to give alot of notice which would put alot of pressure to get those references in..what can one do..everyone will be in the same position. It could be that if you get your references in late, that would be your problem then...in my opinion, I would just send them in whether I get an interview or not.

This post of delays in sending out invites has helped me...I assumed wrongly that my references would all be reachable in Canada if a reference was needed. I emailed them yesterday, and one of my references is out of the country for a few months, so she will do the reference prematurely because she may not be reachable when decision time comes.

Lesson learned, make sure your references are reachable for upcoming references needed to be sent in.

If for whatever reason, they decide not to give alot of notice which would put alot of pressure to get those references in..what can one do..everyone will be in the same position. It could be that if you get your references in late, that would be your problem then...in my opinion, I would just send them in whether I get an interview or not.

This post of delays in sending out invites has helped me...I assumed wrongly that my references would all be reachable in Canada if a reference was needed. I emailed them yesterday, and one of my references is out of the country for a few months, so she will do the reference prematurely because she may not be reachable when decision time comes.

Lesson learned, make sure your references are reachable for upcoming references needed to be sent in.

excellent advice

i don't see why we should send them early if their website or admissions doesn't explicitly tell us to.

calgary cut off less OOP students for file review than their application manual claimed this year. someone mentioned this to the office and they fixed that.

same deal. they have NOT asked us to send in reference letters early at all. they neither updated their website nor sent us an e-mail regarding this. if you are following THEIR rules, i don't see how you're going to lose your interview over it.

my 2c.

well they only promised that maritime applicants would hear this week on their website... the only people who don't care about the airline sale.

Nah yo itimebomb2. Their admissions timeline says Jan 8th is for ip and oop as well. See a few posts above this one, to find that link. (EDIT: post # 62 )

With that being said, I'm not certain if they will keep to that deadline. I have a feeling it will be postponed. Nonetheless, I'll be madly checking my inbox today! :cool:

Keep in mind the amount of work required by the admissions committee in order to determine who to invite for interviews out of the non-maritime pool. In the maritime pool pretty much everyone academically eligible is granted an interview. All that has been determined already and doesn't have anything to do with the admissions committee, it's all done in the office. For the non-maritime students there are a huge number of applications and a significant number of those are academically eligible. We have been getting increasing numbers of people applying every year and the number of maritime applicants remains fairly steady so there is more and more work with non-maritime applications.

That said there are only about 60-65 interview spots given for non-maritime spots and to determine those people to be interviewed not only do the applicants have to be academically eligible, but the committee must review the supplemental sections from all the applications in order to rank people for interviews.

So, as long as the committee members get all those applications reviewed on time you should be hearing relatively soon. I don't know the specifics on the dates however.

I hope that clarifies for you.

Good luck,

doc2B

• 1 month later...

Archived