Premed 101 Forums

MCAT-Physical Science part

md-equation

Hello guys im probably just like all of you hear, who are intersted in medicine, well duh why else would we be here... lol

well im new to these forums and basically i have checked out some of the information you guys posted and i found it quite useful.

anyways, i am a second year Undergraduate student At U of T. My majors are Psychology and Exceptality in Human Learning and a minor in Biology. I really have no exposer to Physics. I do have my chemistry (one of my favourite subjects). The only experience i have with physics is from Calculus from the vector part, which was essentially grade 11 physics... well apart of it.

I unforunately did not know that physics was apart of the MCAT or was needed to become a doc. I wanted to be a doc ever since i was a Kid. In high school i hated physics (mostly because i wasn't good in math in grade 10). However, everyone matures finds their own way of studying and such. When it was time to pick courses back in high school I asked my teachers about physics and becoming a doctor and they told me i didn't need it. I was the happiest dude in the world... until i saw physics was going to be on it. So since i thought i didnt need it, i ended up not taking grade 11 or 12 physics. Since i didnt take any of those physics courses, i couldnt take 1st year physics either.

Now, i have had a talk with many representatives of med schools. They said that you needed to know "conceptual" Physics. There is no math involved. I was pretty please knowing that there is no math involved. I really dont like math. Not a strong point. So im thinking, there is this course here at U of T thats offered called Everyday physics. It involves very little calculations ( i can do basic math, Im not that bad at it). It teachs basic physics and its meant for social science students and such. Now would taking this course be a Good idea? Im also planning on taking one year off after i graduate because my first year marks were terrible. So i was thinking while i study for the MCAT in that 1 year, i would do some basic grade 11 physics too. What do you guys think i should do. Im really confused about this. I really want to do well, but as u can see i have abit of a dilemma here. Any suggestions?

Hello guys im probably just like all of you hear, who are intersted in medicine, well duh why else would we be here... lol

well im new to these forums and basically i have checked out some of the information you guys posted and i found it quite useful.

anyways, i am a second year Undergraduate student At U of T. My majors are Psychology and Exceptality in Human Learning and a minor in Biology. I really have no exposer to Physics. I do have my chemistry (one of my favourite subjects). The only experience i have with physics is from Calculus from the vector part, which was essentially grade 11 physics... well apart of it.

I unforunately did not know that physics was apart of the MCAT or was needed to become a doc. I wanted to be a doc ever since i was a Kid. In high school i hated physics (mostly because i wasn't good in math in grade 10). However, everyone matures finds their own way of studying and such. When it was time to pick courses back in high school I asked my teachers about physics and becoming a doctor and they told me i didn't need it. I was the happiest dude in the world... until i saw physics was going to be on it. So since i thought i didnt need it, i ended up not taking grade 11 or 12 physics. Since i didnt take any of those physics courses, i couldnt take 1st year physics either.

Now, i have had a talk with many representatives of med schools. They said that you needed to know "conceptual" Physics. There is no math involved. I was pretty please knowing that there is no math involved. I really dont like math. Not a strong point. So im thinking, there is this course here at U of T thats offered called Everyday physics. It involves very little calculations ( i can do basic math, Im not that bad at it). It teachs basic physics and its meant for social science students and such. Now would taking this course be a Good idea? Im also planning on taking one year off after i graduate because my first year marks were terrible. So i was thinking while i study for the MCAT in that 1 year, i would do some basic grade 11 physics too. What do you guys think i should do. Im really confused about this. I really want to do well, but as u can see i have abit of a dilemma here. Any suggestions?

I had zero physics knowledge. But I still did it! I think though, my grade 12 physics helped. But it can be self-taught. Definitely take everyday physics, it'll be your intro. Then in your year off, you mentioned you were going to take grade 11 physics? How so? Through a school i.e. Night classes? If you're not too keen on that, grab a grd 11 textbook (library) and read it, and do the practice problems. Then, move onto a grade 12 t.b. Then, once you have a good foundation, move onto MCAT physics. You'll find these calculations easier (since there are no calculators allowed), but you'll have to get really good at estimation. For this, I suggest Nova physics, and EK physics (or was it math? hmm, somewhere in the EK package, they teach you estimation tricks).

But bottom line, you'll have to put in a LOT of work. So be prepared. It can be done!

I did okay on the mcat without physics, not even highschool. I used PR, Nova and EK. Most of my summer,,,,was spent learning physics and it was challenging.

If you are thinking of applying to American med schools, and some OOP, I would look at their requirements for physics. Many are specific as to the type of physics you take.

Have you thought of taking physics at Ryerson or York. It might be less competitive than U of T.

Also, if you wish to go back to highschool for physics, you can take it though ILC..correspondence and work at your own pace. In saying that, it might be easier to just use a highschool textbook. But check with the med schools you are thinking of applying to as to what type of physics is required, many physics courses require you to have highschool physics..if that is the case, you will have to take it at highschool.

Also, if your first year was not stellar, Western and Queens only look at your last 2 years, and U of T is weighted, and Ottawa last 3...you are not in as bad of a position as you think...

hey guys

well yeah i was thinking about grabbing the textbook for grade 11 physics from the library. Grade 12 physics is pretty similar to grade 11. My question is what kind of estimation are you talking about? like rounding numbers? Honestly, what can i do in order to ensure im going to do well in this part (other than studying physics.)

I highly doubt that i go back to high school and learn physics... id have to go to adult school. I mite as well just teach it my self. What exactly is ILC? In all honesty this part of the MCAT scares me the most.

Also yeah i do know that well majority of the Med schools look at 3 years and plus, where as some look at 2 years. Regardless, i got to do well and so far its been working. i am also well aware, that the MCAT is definately one of the major components to my chances. Hence this is why i think taking one year off is good and works out for me because i will be able to give MCAT my 100% devotion. Plus my top 3 years go in (2-4) to med school.

Thanks alot for your suggestions guys, i really apperciate it. Any advice is helpful.

I don't really have any advice for you, and it sounds to me like your plan of just reviewing the high school physics is a good one. At some point you'll want to get some MCAT physics books and work through them. But I just wanted to throw out there for you or anyone else who's trying to learn/study/review physics that I have a master's degree in physics and I'm happy to explain things that you get stuck on if you start a thread on here or send me a pm. :)

Oh, and as far as estimation - just practice getting answers to physics problems quickly and without a calculator. Round things to 1 or 2 digits, since it's a multiple choice test and you just need a general answer.

Archived