Premed 101 Forums

physics ...help

idealmind101

I have not studied phsyics in high school or in university. So as any pre med keener would do, i bought all the material necessary for me to ace the mcat. Now, the problem is i cant figure out which one to study from. As i mentioned i feel like physics is something i will be weak in. I bought the Berkley Review, Princeton Hyperlearning phsyics review, and exam crackers physics. can anyone tell me, which book should i read in depth? Or, should i cover the material by dividing them in chapters and then see which book covers it better? *sigh*

Or, should i just study off Berkeley review, since i have heard good things about that one, and skim over examkrackers?

cheerios,

:D

I have not studied phsyics in high school or in university. So as any pre med keener would do, i bought all the material necessary for me to ace the mcat. Now, the problem is i cant figure out which one to study from. As i mentioned i feel like physics is something i will be weak in. I bought the Berkley Review, Princeton Hyperlearning phsyics review, and exam crackers physics. can anyone tell me, which book should i read in depth? Or, should i cover the material by dividing them in chapters and then see which book covers it better? *sigh*

Or, should i just study off Berkeley review, since i have heard good things about that one, and skim over examkrackers?

cheerios,

:D

Haha, nice! Being a keener premed is where it's at ;). kay, so, I would go with tpr for understanding (never used BR, so Iunno if it's good, but like you, i've heard rave reviews!) I used TPR for understanding physics, and did all of their practice problems in the science work book, and I supplemented it with EK (slim book! easy to get through, not that great for explanations...although their practice exams are swell!...HARD but good). And then definitely, ek 1001 is the way to go. And nova also.

So, read tpr to understand, read the same chapter in nova and EK. make notes (i did, cos I hadn't a physical science background). And then do all the problems. This will take you a while, so set up a schedule, and stick to it!! (easier said than done, I realise...and you're probably shooting daggers at the comp while reading this hehe). When are you writing? This is very labour intensive (i spent the entire summer on my studying).

But here's what I would do if short on time: read TPR as a story book :P (forget the probs)

then Read EK and NOva and make notes. Do all problems in both books.

THen, once you've read thru EK and Nova and done those probs, do 1001 after all of this to see how much you've retained and what you can/can't do. GOOD LUCK!

I was in the same position prior to writing.

I took the PR course, and it got me on a schedule and gave me insight as to what I needed to know. I found it challenging, especially in class in the beginning, but because of my super low scores on their pretests, it forced me to really really focus on physics or not write the mcat ...I would have gotten a 4.

I also used some old highschool books, and Physics for Dummies etc...

Somehow it worked, I got a 10 on PS...and that was more than I expected.

I also got a private tutor to learn some concepts I was troubled with.

I worked from May til Sept studying for the mcat, and primarily on physics...

If you look on the site, LAW, has started one on mcat..physics, I would suggest reading through his thread. It would have made my life alot easier if his thread was up and running when I wrote....

You can also take physics,,,highschool, from the Independent Learning Centre which is an adult education correspondence program based out of Toronto, you do not have to live in Toronto...and you do the program on your own time...they have teachers who can help you...you can google them and decide, but it will give you the basics.

nice terryann :D you got a 10, which is good... its a mix of physics and chem correct? im thinking about getting physics for dumbies soon. i know you messaged me about ILC, thanks for that.

I really need input though on my mcat

see i want to go to med school around 2013. I graduate in june 2012. I want to take the year off and just study for the mcat, do the physics i need to prep my self for, practice for verbal and stuff. However im thinking of writing it twice. One time i will just write it, to get the feel for it, to see what i need to improve on, how the mcat works. If it goes Great here then i wont write it twice and i will release my scores to med school. How can i work this out ?

I have all of the material you have listed in addition to NOVA.

Berkeley review is by far the most intense. If you have time to go through it, I would definitely recommend it. Nova plays around with the concepts and really gets you to think about the problem. I find examcrackers 1001 to be directed to students who are already familiar and comfortable with the material so I would touch that last. As for the TPR...it covers all of the right info but to a lesser degree than Berkeley. So pretty much I'd recommend you tackle them in the following order:

Berkeley

examcrackers 1001

(If you can get NOVA do that one in between the two)

but you could also go through them simultaneously, topic by topic!

best of luck

________

Religion Discussion

Archived