Premed 101 Forums

MCAT prep and means

jmadoc

Hey everyone,

I am new to this whole system, and was wondering if some of you could help me out a bit.

I am in my third year of a general bio degree at u of c (plans to graduate after 4.5 or 5 years). My gpa isn't that great (~3.3), but i kicked ass last semester (~3.9) and i think i can keep kicking ass until the end. i am taking 5 courses per semester and planning on getting a minor in a second language or another science (i am extending my degree just to take more courses to boost my gpa). My extra circulars are pretty good and extensive and I don't think I need to work on improving that part of my appy.

I am planning on writing the MCAT for the first time this summer, but i am going to south america for the first two weeks of august (with volunteer program). is it reccommended that i write the mcat before going (ie very end of july) or after i come back (somewhere between mid august-mid september)? can anyone suggest how i should study (ex. kaplan, renert, EK books, etc.)? I am not goign to work, i just have to fundraise for the rest of the summer leading up to the departure. Also, when does reg. open up for mcat seats?

Thanks a bunch.

Hey everyone,

I am new to this whole system, and was wondering if some of you could help me out a bit.

I am in my third year of a general bio degree at u of c (plans to graduate after 4.5 or 5 years). My gpa isn't that great (~3.3), but i kicked ass last semester (~3.9) and i think i can keep kicking ass until the end. i am taking 5 courses per semester and planning on getting a minor in a second language or another science (i am extending my degree just to take more courses to boost my gpa). My extra circulars are pretty good and extensive and I don't think I need to work on improving that part of my appy.

I am planning on writing the MCAT for the first time this summer, but i am going to south america for the first two weeks of august (with volunteer program). is it reccommended that i write the mcat before going (ie very end of july) or after i come back (somewhere between mid august-mid september)? can anyone suggest how i should study (ex. kaplan, renert, EK books, etc.)? I am not goign to work, i just have to fundraise for the rest of the summer leading up to the departure. Also, when does reg. open up for mcat seats?

Thanks a bunch.

I would write it before you leave but sounds like you are going to be busy fundraising though. Just out of curiosity, what volunteer program is it? I did something similar when I was in uni.

Lots of threads about MCAT prep. I'm using Kaplan books but if you can afford it, consider doing a course in the summer.

Archived