Premed 101 Forums

MCAT and Work

whystress?

So this summer I've signed up for an MCAT prep course but I'm also working as a summer student in a lab. The pay at the lab is excellent and the hours aren't set but I'll still be putting in about 30 hours a week at work. My question is, considering this is my first time writing the MCAT, how realistic is it to get >33 on the MCAT? Currently my GPA is ~ 4.15 and I've covered most of the sciences in my classes (currently finishing my 2nd year). I know this question was asked recently but I wanted to pose my question in a more personalized way.

Thanks!

I think that the type and amount of preparation that goes into getting a great MCAT score really varies from person to person.

But I also don't think it's impossible to do well on the MCAT and work, based on my own experience. I wrote the MCAT for the first time last summer at the end of August. I studied all summer (I didn't take a course, but used the Kaplan book), while working 40 hrs/w in a lab. My score was 37S.

So yes, it is possible to work and get a good score! It won't be the best summer you've ever had, but it won't be impossible either. One thing I'd recommend is giving yourself as much study time as possible. If you start your studying at least 3 months in advance, you can break it down into smaller blocks that seem manageable when you also consider the time and energy your job will take up.

Good luck! :)

Archived