Premed 101 Forums

MCAT motivation

metukah

Hey guys,

I am looking for some motivation and confidence building. I just started studying for a MCAT rewrite that I will do in a few months. I am doing this while juggling graduate student responsibilities. I just started studying, and I am already getting discouraged by getting many practice problems wrong. I'm starting to feel like no matter what I do, I won't get the cutoffs I need! It's frustrating because the MCAT is the last hurdle I need to overcome. I keep reminding myself of the bigger goal....but the process is so frustrating! Any words of wisdom or advice?

hey man,

i am in the exact same situation as you. i am smack in the middle of patient recruitment, and trying to study for the MCAT. it's not easy as you already know. my best advice is to not overhwelm yourself, and try to do about 2-3 hrs of work every weeknight, and then try to do aboyt 4-6 hrs on the sat/sun if you can. this is what i am attempting, not always succesfully mind you.

just keep your end goal in mind. you have worked hard in grad school, this will give you a leg up on the competition. don't get discouraged by wrong practice problems. just keep powering through, try to get through all the material and make study notes. once you start hitting the practice tests, they will provide more information on what your weak points are, and where you need to focus. the MCAT is not going to test you on everything in the prep material.

you'll never know if you'll meet the cutoffs unless you apply, trust me, you will regret not having written the MCAT, and not applying. i have some colleagues in grad school who didn't have the hottest MCAT's (26, 27, 29) and they still managed to get some interviews. so keep at it. just try to do as much as you can everyday. if you find you're not ready, re-schedule for later. but studying now will still be beneficial even if you write later on.

Hi Metukah,

I'm in a similar predicament in terms of graduate school and prepping for the MCAT. Are your getting less than stellar results in every section or simply one section? Maybe you need to do a more thorough content review before approaching the practice questions? Maybe you need to find sources that are more thorough (ie. Berkeley review)? Are you timing yourself when you're going through the questions? Maybe you don't need to worry about timing yet, and just get the concepts down...once you're comfortable then you can simulate the test conditions.

In short I don't think you need motivation, rather you may just need suggestions to help your overcome whatever is preventing you from attaining your ideal score.

peace

________

FREE MAGENTO THEMES

Archived