Premed 101 Forums

What is a considered a Re-Applicant in US?

Hi guys!

May sound like a dumb question but what I'm asking is this:

Say I apply to a select few US schools this year and am not successful. The next year I apply to an entirely different batch, would I be considered a re-applicant?

In other words, does submitting a primary constitute an application and if you were to submit another primary the following cycle then are you automatically a re-applicant regardless of which schools you apply to?

Hi guys!

May sound like a dumb question but what I'm asking is this:

Say I apply to a select few US schools this year and am not successful. The next year I apply to an entirely different batch, would I be considered a re-applicant?

In other words, does submitting a primary constitute an application and if you were to submit another primary the following cycle then are you automatically a re-applicant regardless of which schools you apply to?

I think from what I remember on secondaries is that they asked if you previously applied to that school. I don't think you would be considered reapplying if you complete 2 primaries, and don't apply to the same school twice.

I think from what I remember on secondaries is that they asked if you previously applied to that school. I don't think you would be considered reapplying if you complete 2 primaries, and don't apply to the same school twice.

Thanks for your response keith_015!

I wasn't sure about this and couldn't really find anything on the AMCAS website either. Although it seems you're not 100% sure?

Could anyone perhaps second?

Many schools (in my experience, anyway) asked if I have ever applied to medical school (as a general question, not specific to their school).

It is in your best interest not to lie, especially if there is a record of a previous AMCAS primary application (not that they would go digging to find out, but why risk it?)

For those who only applied to Canadian schools, i would say that may be a different story.

I understand the stigma associated with re-applicants in the US and the obsession with "what makes you so much better this time around" but dishonesty gets you nowhere in this game.

I am talking about their secondary app's, not in interviews (although I was asked several times in interviews where else I was interviewing... sneaky)

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. So it's a general question for the secondaries, like you said: "Have you applied to a medical school?"

I know you mentioned it would be different if you only applied to CAN. So are they looking for a yes/no for US schools considering it's an US application?

Appreciate your responses guys, just trying to figure out my situation and not make any stupid mistakes before I commit to applying to the states.

• 4 months later...

I also have a question regarding this. Last year I applied to certain US medical schools - as in I submitted my primary applicaton - but I never bothered finishing my secondaries.

So now if I apply to those same schools again this year, would I be considered a re-applicant?

because technically my application was never reviewed at those schools the first time around and I was just disqualified due to incompletion

why dont schools consider reapplying as persistence? I have one school where I interviewed and did not get accepted and other schools where I never got an interview. I'm worried as to how much can I improve my applucation in a year. I mean I did do a few things but I'm worried now.

Archived