Premed 101 Forums

Email...

Did everyone get that follow up email explaining what happened? As someone who has an acceptance at Dal Online, but no letter in hand yet..I can't help but feel like I'm going to puke and they are going to retract the online acceptances when I see an email from Dal!

Yep got it. I don't think there is any conflict between acceptance online and acceptance with letter. I think the main glitch is people receiving "written notification to follow" and then getting a letter saying they are accepted (like me!). I think this notification was supposed to be only for those who are either waitlisted or rejected but it somehow made it onto a few of the online pages of those who were accepted.

I sympathize with the admission's office employees on this scenario.... they did everything in their power to make the process a little more applicant friendly and they're getting no help from their own registrar.

I don't know what kinda of money OMSAS charges the Ontario universities but if it were feasible perhaps it would be a good idea for Dal to join OMSAS..... They use the scale already.... and they would have the data input taken care of for them.

I imagine some of the cons to that ideas involve some sort of fee omsas would want, and loss of flexibility to release decisions early or have a different deadline for apps.

Just an idea though.

I sympathize with the admission's office employees on this scenario.... they did everything in their power to make the process a little more applicant friendly and they're getting no help from their own registrar.

I don't know what kinda of money OMSAS charges the Ontario universities but if it were feasible perhaps it would be a good idea for Dal to join OMSAS..... They use the scale already.... and they would have the data input taken care of for them.

I imagine some of the cons to that ideas involve some sort of fee omsas would want, and loss of flexibility to release decisions early or have a different deadline for apps.

Just an idea though.

I think with Dal shifting everything toward earlier deadlines, interviews, and notifications joining OMSAS might not be alligned with where they are headed. But I agree, some sort of more organized system would be nice.

Also, let's not forget that Dal's admissions system has been in transition these past few years. It wasn't long ago that you had to mail in significant parts of your app, and up until last year they had semi-rolling admissions. In spite of the messup with the registrar's office this year, it's MUCH more applicant-friendly than it has been in the past. I hope Dal keeps working towards their goals, because this past year has been much better than 2 or more years ago.

Guest ben1000

I must admit that compared applying to Quebec schools for the past years and having to wait till the end of may for a email to tell me that I wasn't accepted but that there would be a letter soon to tell me that there would be a second letter with wait list information. I really appreciate Dal for taking the initiative to get the letters out this early. Only bad side is now I have to wait a while before the waiting list starts to move.

Only bad side is now I have to wait a while before the waiting list starts to move.

Ben, really bud, if I were you I'd just take that position 2 on the waitlist as an acceptance. Think of it this way: There are 10 reserved seats at MUN for NB students. I GUARANTEE that some people will get acceptances to both Dal and MUN. The thing is that they can only pick one, so there is going to be waitlist movement at both schools... what I'm trying to say is that you can be certain beyond any semblance of reasonable doubt that you're going to get into Dal by the end of the summer.

Congratulations. You're going to be a doctor.

Guest ben1000
Ben, really bud, if I were you I'd just take that position 2 on the waitlist as an acceptance. Think of it this way: There are 10 reserved seats at MUN for NB students. I GUARANTEE that some people will get acceptances to both Dal and MUN. The thing is that they can only pick one, so there is going to be waitlist movement at both schools... what I'm trying to say is that you can be certain beyond any semblance of reasonable doubt that you're going to get into Dal by the end of the summer.

Congratulations. You're going to be a doctor.

haha That's what my head is telling me but I won't really believe it till I get that letter. I'm just so used to getting rejected at the end of the summer.

haha That's what my head is telling me but I won't really believe it till I get that letter. I'm just so used to getting rejected at the end of the summer.

I'm a HUGE believer in not counting your chickens before they hatch, but I think you are in a good spot! I totally get the not wanting to start celebrating thing though.

Archived