Premed 101 Forums

proportion of acting stations

Can anyone shed some light on the portion of acting stations there are? I've heard some schools have mostly acting stations with only 1-2 traditional/healthcare questions and since McMaster likes to be atypical, I've always assumed that they had mainly bizarre acting stations (people crying, nervous breakdowns, etc.)

I've posted about this on the Calgary thread (their MMI is all hypothetical situations and no actors) - does anyone know the variety of MMI stations we should expect for McMaster? for example..

- actor stations

- how you would address a hypothetical situation

- traditional interview questions

- healthcare issues

(is it a equal proportion of all of these? )

Also, do you get any feedback/follow-up questions from the interviewers? or are you doing a sitting monologue for 8 min :P

In all the MMIs I've ever done there is only 1 simulated patient (actor) station. There are scenarios where you work with another interviewee but not in an acting sense.

I was pretty surprised this year... I didn't really have any traditional interview stations at either of my MMIs. There were certainly times when I could talk about myself, but no "why medicine/why you?" type questions.

what do you mean, even though you have a lot to say to the person evaluating you... what would you have to say?

Well, I can't really go into specifics, but I found that I wanted to discuss my thought process about the situation with the evaluator. When you act with someone, you are limited in what you can say to them, as you can't offend a patient. There was a LOT of stuff that I couldn't really talk about but wanted to say, mostly concerning things I would do as follow up to the visit. I couldn't say things like "I would go talk to a social worker and get advice from other health care professionals" to the patient.

Archived