Premed 101 Forums

Question Before Applying

Hi,

I have just finished my second year of university, and was hoping to apply to some American schools during the next cycle, so after my third year. My question was whether or not I had to have the pre-req courses done before applying, for example, I am missing a half unit of physics and a full year of English, but given my ample space for electives next year, I can accommodate the need of such courses. Can I apply with the intent to complete these courses? Or do I have to complete these courses before applying?

Thanks,

Jordan

Hi,

I have just finished my second year of university, and was hoping to apply to some American schools during the next cycle, so after my third year. My question was whether or not I had to have the pre-req courses done before applying, for example, I am missing a half unit of physics and a full year of English, but given my ample space for electives next year, I can accommodate the need of such courses. Can I apply with the intent to complete these courses? Or do I have to complete these courses before applying?

Thanks,

Jordan

Yes you can apply with the intention of completing those courses before you matriculate (but you will most likely be taking those in the summer before med school, and I'm not sure if you can/want to take such a huge course load during intersession)

ETA: Also, please don't waste your money and apply to the top tier schools as a third year. Do your research as very few schools in the US take students without a bachelors

Um hm. Only one I've heard of was Wayne State.

The other thing to also keep in mind is that for a 3rd year applicant to get into a US medical school, he/she must be very competitive, which means that he/she will probably be able to get into a Canadian school if not in 3rd year then almost certainly in 4th year. So if it's an issue of running to the States because you don't think you will be in accepted in Canada, that's not really the case.

ok... now that I just read your post again... do you mean to apply in the 2010-2011 cycle or the 2011-2012 cycle? If it's the latter, you can still take the courses in your 4th year...

I was planning to apply after 3rd year, but not to a top tier American school. I know the chances are slim - but I'd like to get out of undergrad as soon as possible. I'll also be applying to all the Ontario schools that I can.

I'm not sure if I understand... everyone is suppose to be applying after 3rd year.... applying after three years won't get you out of undergrad any faster...

If the OP wants to apply this cycle... It greatly depends on your MCAT... the one person i know who got in applied after finishing second year (so got in after finishing 3 years). had a 39S + 4.0 GPA (he got into top 10s and Cdn schools). So unless you have #s like that, don't apply after 2nd year hoping to leave a year early for the US.

Archived