Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist support group

...I see you were accepted to three Ontario schools. Why'd you choose Mac?

Simple, because McMaster is the be all and end all! :P

Hey Waitlisters,

After MUCH deliberation I've decided to decline my offer from MAC (Hamilton Campus) in favour of staying in Halifax. I think I'd enjoy/thrive in both programs so for me it really came down to where my family/friends/support system is. I've had a really tough time deciding as I think MAC is a wonderful school with a great people.

So... if you're next on the waitlist, here's one for you!

Sorry to hear you decline McMaster, but Dalhousie is also a great medical school! :)

phew...i thought it might've been me....then again, ive been called worse things than "cooky"

Haha, jokes! ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a couple sources for this information, including:

1) UTMedAdmissions's Blog (current information/May 2010):

The Admissions Coordinator, Deborah Coombs, states that: "I will say that we do make more offers than there are seats in the class. Most schools do this, based on a “best guess,” looking at past experience. It is not an exact science, but we are trying to fill our class with these initial offers...we have always over-offered, realistically, based on past experience."

2) Check out this PDF from Queen's School of Medicine (May 2007):

"Q: Do we offer more acceptances (than we have positions) at the start or in the first round.

A: No we do not. But other schools do. This could be a disadvantage for Queen’s. It is under consideration."

Thanks a lot, Nemesis! It was great to get solid info on this topic and to see how this issue is differently approached by many admission offices.

Just received an offer from Ottawa and am choosing to stay in Ottawa rather than move to Hamilton. Feeling a bit of loss from turning down this awesome program, but enjoy Ottawa too much to move!

Hope a pm101 gets my spot!

...have a good one, at uOttawa! :)

Hey guys, just to confirm, a firm acceptance is due by the end of TOMORROW right? Not by midnight of tonight??

Correct, end of business day tomorrow. But why not play it safe and do today? Will 24 hours really change your mind? Or are you on a waitlist and wanting to play it out?

Wow, waiting is tough...though I suppose the momentum should pick up as of tomorrow? Fingers crossed!! Do they call or email people first? Also, for those of you waitlisted at MAC are you sending in your final transcripts through OMSAS or waiting to see if there is an official offer first?

Wow, waiting is tough...though I suppose the momentum should pick up as of tomorrow? Fingers crossed!! Do they call or email people first? Also, for those of you waitlisted at MAC are you sending in your final transcripts through OMSAS or waiting to see if there is an official offer first?

I believe Mac waitlisters are receiving e-mail notifications.

As for the transcript requirement, I'd wait until you get your offer of admission, as you will likely still have the same deadline: June 30, 2010 (plenty of time). :)

fingers-crossed2.jpg

Good Luck! ;)

Got accepted from the waitlist yesterday. Only check my email today to find out!

Thank you all for this support group, and best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. There is still hope!

Great news! Congrats! :D

Got off the waitlist at 2:45pm... there is hope!!!

Welcome to the Class of 2013! :)

Guest postman
Accepted!!!!! Could absolutely not be happier!!!!! Hold in there waitlisters, there is hope!!!! Fingers crossed for all of you!:D :D :D

Were you on the waitlist for any other schools?

What do you think the chances are that Wendy will send out an email like they did at U of T, cutting down the waitlist?

Send Wendy an e-mail and see if there's a plan to shorten the existing waitlist. :)

That would be the best (and most direct) way of finding the answer to your question. ;)

Archived