Premed 101 Forums

Things to do after the acceptance

Hi guys. Sorry if I sound a little paranoid with my questions, just want to make sure I get everything correct!

If other people have questions regarding such issues, feel free to post them here too! I'm sure they'll be of great help to all.

My questions are:

1. The admission package stated that we need to submit our final year's transcript through the secure messaging system on omsas. I could not for the life of me find such a link. Does anybody know how to request our transcript to be sent?

2. I'm actually a 3rd year student at Ottawa U right now, so I'm still registered for my final year in Science at the school. As the package stated, we need to de-register from any courses or programs that we are currently registered in at Ottawa U. Would my student number, email address be deactivated and reissued upon registration at the faculty of medicine? I'm currently using my university email for a lot of things. It would be a huge hassle if this was the case.

3. I'm also going out of the country soon and coming back at the end of August. It's a trip bound by a work contract so it's pretty much impossible for me to delay or alter it. What would happen if for some reason I could not provide all of the required documents on time (i.e. immunization record). Does anybody know whether the deadlines can be extended and if not...what happens then? It'd be pretty silly to not be able to register comes September for these reasons.

Thanks a bunch guys! Any comment is appreciated greatly. Excited to meet the 2014 crew in the fall!

Guest viscous

1- For the transcript, log into SAM tool. Print out TPR Form. You need to fill that in and send that to OMSAS along with credit/check fee of $10.

Guest viscous

This seems to be appropriate thread. I asked this in other thread, but goes in here as well.

Do I have to reply back to admission offer email via email as well? There is no hint of that. The two methods are:

1- Mail in admission response form to Ottawa along with deposit etc.

2- Firm accept on SAM on OMSAS.

So I am assuming that I dont have reply back to the email. Correct me If I got it wrong.thank you everyone.

Thx viscous.

From what I understood, I think it's only required that you do the 1 and 2 that you mentioned. I think they'd rather have a hard copy of your admission response than a simple email. That's just my take. It'd be nice if somebody else can help confirm. =)

This seems to be appropriate thread. I asked this in other thread, but goes in here as well.

Do I have to reply back to admission offer email via email as well? There is no hint of that. The two methods are:

1- Mail in admission response form to Ottawa along with deposit etc.

2- Firm accept on SAM on OMSAS.

So I am assuming that I dont have reply back to the email. Correct me If I got it wrong.thank you everyone.

I'm also going out of the country soon and coming back at the end of August. It's a trip bound by a work contract so it's pretty much impossible for me to delay or alter it. What would happen if for some reason I could not provide all of the required documents on time (i.e. immunization record). Does anybody know whether the deadlines can be extended and if not...what happens then? It'd be pretty silly to not be able to register comes September for these reasons.

If you don't have all the immunization stuff on time, you will simply get an email to tell you they're missing some info. Although you should of course do your best to meet all the deadlines, it's not big deal if you don't for things like that, definitely will not prevent you from starting med school in September. They might be a bit fussier for things like pre-req courses, because they want to be sure you actually passed everything in time (a few days late would be ok even for that, but maybe not the end of August), but for immunizations or other such things it's less critical. You'll eventually need to provide them all that they ask for and you will get emails by responsible people until you do, but they are in general understanding, reasonable people and they know how hard it can be to get all they ask for in time.

My advice would be, if ever you see that you won't have everything in time, to send them an email that briefly explains your situation and when you will send the documentation.

You should really enjoy your time off. You'll hear it from medical students and residents for the next few years. Don't worry about immunization forms and all the little stuff, if you have your acceptance that is all you need.

I would highly suggest traveling if you want to. You'll have time in your first two summers and about 6-7 weeks at the end of 4th year (before residency). Don't worry about the money, a few thousand $$$$ for a trip is a drop in the bucket over the span of your career.

Archived