Premed 101 Forums

Applying again

Hi guys, I am going into second year and would like to think of some options.

I am strongly considering American schools for personal reasons, but unfortunately do not have American citizenship or permanent residency. Currently, I am thinking of applying to both Canadian schools and some of American schools during third year (I know this sounds insane, but want to try it), but I have heard that there are disadvantages for re-applying for American schools. What would be some disadvantages for applying again? And, would it be also disadvantageous if I apply to more school the next year?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Hi guys, I am going into second year and would like to think of some options.

I am strongly considering American schools for personal reasons, but unfortunately do not have American citizenship or permanent residency. Currently, I am thinking of applying to both Canadian schools and some of American schools during third year (I know this sounds insane, but want to try it), but I have heard that there are disadvantages for re-applying for American schools. What would be some disadvantages for applying again? And, would it be also disadvantageous if I apply to more school the next year?

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Save your time and money. Your chances of getting in after 3 years are slim to none.

What would be some disadvantages for applying again? And, would it be also disadvantageous if I apply to more school the next year?

The disadvantage would be that you need SIGNIFICANT improvement on your application for the schools to consider your application again, or else in their eyes, your application would not be worth re-consideration. It probably wouldn't be disadvantageous to apply to more schools but I think they know if you have applied before...

It's not impossible to get in during your second round of application but why waste your time/money/effort?

ETA: although I do have to add, I'm not sure if CANADIANS have gotten in after second round of apps before...

The secondary applications for many schools ask if you've applied there before. If so you're supposed to have done something significant since that application to have made yourself more competitive. They're pretty straightforward in saying this on many of the applications. Some of these require quick little paragraph answers and some require essays on the topic.

If your answer to "what have you done since your last application" is "continued school and finished my degree" then that doesn't make for too strong of a case - you basically did what you've been doing all along (having completed 2nd and 3rd year). The few people I know who were accepted on their second attempt had added a Masters Degree, MBA, major research or employment experience etc.

Also its certainly possible that you could get in first or second try, its just so improbable that IMO the costs (the stigma of being a re-applicant) outweigh the benefits (having the slim chance of getting in).

Isn't rmitch a reapplicant? I think he's shown that it's more than doable!

I was a re-applicant to the CAN schools... I did mention to many US schools that I applied the previous year to CAN though. I think the US schools mostly care if you are a re-applicant to their program and not to med school in general.

OP - I wouldn't go for the 3rd year US app unless I had a mind-blowing GPA/MCAT. Very few American applicants get accepted out of third-year (I never met a single 3rd year in all the interviews and revisits I attended), and it's true that being a re-applicant will make things WAY tougher for you the second time around - you will get grilled about this during interviews and secondary applications. Also, it's scary how much money you can sink into a full US application process with interview flights/hotels/AMCAS/secondary fees etc. Wait until fourth-year if you are serious about getting into the US.

This doesn't apply for CAN schools. Lots of ppl seem to apply to during third year and get in. Plus being a re-applicant doesn't hurt your chances in Canada at all if it doesn't work out during third year.

Archived