Premed 101 Forums

Basic Life Support Training

Anyone find somewhere cheap(ish) in Ottawa?

Edit: for those in Ottawa, the city does it for $60 for Ottawa residents. June 24, July 29, August 26th (hmm, that might not work haha), all 6-10pm. http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/ambulance/community_medicine/first_aid/schedule_en.html#P390_5722

Oh hey, fellow Ottawa/future Mac student here! :)

I had gone to a CPR course in Ottawa for free last October, offered by the City of Ottawa. I guess they charge $ for the HCP course.

I'm a bit concerned about taking it with them, though. Last time, I only received a little card thing with my name written on it. The course itself was pretty good, I think, but I don't know if the certificate would meet McMaster's requirements. On the other hand, maybe they'll provide something more substantial for the paid HCP course? Still, I think it would be a good idea to make sure first.

Oh hey, fellow Ottawa/future Mac student here! :)

I had gone to a CPR course in Ottawa for free last October, offered by the City of Ottawa. I guess they charge $ for the HCP course.

I'm a bit concerned about taking it with them, though. Last time, I only received a little card thing with my name written on it. The course itself was pretty good, I think, but I don't know if the certificate would meet McMaster's requirements. On the other hand, maybe they'll provide something more substantial for the paid HCP course? Still, I think it would be a good idea to make sure first.

I attended the HCP course in Ottawa last year and paid $35. I received a card as well, which I submitted to Mac without any issues. Unless they changed the requirements this year, it should be good!

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to register for $55.00 via this provider. :)

Has anyone verified with admissions that this provider meets the requirements? I signed up for a course with them and then received the email from Wendy Edge saying that we should verify that providers other than the Red Cross, St John or Heart & Stroke are okay.

...although I didn't verify my chosen course with Wendy Edge, I decided it wasn't necessary after she sent another e-mail with additional information re: Basic Life Support. :)

As outlined by Wendy, the key requirements are that the CPR course have the designation "for healthcare providers", and that "the approximate course length [is] 4.5 hours". Furthermore First Aid is not necessary (this will probably increase the cost of your course unnecessarily, as well).

The course I selected from Vital CPR has the following characteristics:

-Course name: CPR/AED

-CPR level: CPR Level HCP

-Course length: 9am-6pm

-Certification cards will be provided in class upon successful completion.

-Vital CPR is "An Authorized Provider of Canadian Red Cross First Aid and CPR courses in Toronto"

Therefore, I feel that this course satisfies the requirements, as outlined by Wendy. If you have any doubts, however, you should definitely e-mail her yourself. :)

Has anyone verified with admissions that this provider meets the requirements? I signed up for a course with them and then received the email from Wendy Edge saying that we should verify that providers other than the Red Cross, St John or Heart & Stroke are okay.

Archived