Premed 101 Forums

PLEASE HELP...grad GPA?

Hi,

I think I searched the entire forum, but in case I missed something, I was wondering if and how graduate marks are incorporated into the american gpa system?

Also, I saw the gpa conversions for major schools in another sticky (york, u of t, queens etc).

Does anyone know where or if such a scale exists for schools in ottawa? ie, carleton and ottawa u.

Lastly, does anyone know if american schools look at GPA, mcat and statement all at the same time? In other words, can a lowish gpa be compensated for by a wicked statement, or do they first establish a gpa cut-off before even reading statements?

Thanks.

Hi,

I think I searched the entire forum, but in case I missed something, I was wondering if and how graduate marks are incorporated into the american gpa system?

Also, I saw the gpa conversions for major schools in another sticky (york, u of t, queens etc).

Does anyone know where or if such a scale exists for schools in ottawa? ie, carleton and ottawa u.

Lastly, does anyone know if american schools look at GPA, mcat and statement all at the same time? In other words, can a lowish gpa be compensated for by a wicked statement, or do they first establish a gpa cut-off before even reading statements?

Thanks.

Hey,

From what I've gathered thus far, grad GPA does not matter in the States.

As for scale conversion, someone posted up a link in one of the threads. Although it doesn't have specific conversions for each Canadian schools, it's pretty self-explanatory so you should be able to compare which conversion matches with your schools`.

In regards to your last question, you should take it with a grain of salt. But, I've heard that some schools tend to focus more on MCAT (i.e. they like people with high scores more). I'm not sure if you could completely compensate low GPA with wicked ps but there are indeed people who have been accepted with low stats (very rare). But overall, the States schools are more holistic in viewing the applications, so you never know.

p.s weren't you accepted to one of the Irish schools?

thanks for ur info.

haha indeed i was accepted to UCC. But i cant go. not money related. its quite complicated. plus, i have not applied to canada or the states yet. might as well give them the chance to at least reject me.

Archived