Premed 101 Forums

MCAT improvement as a Re-applicant

I applied last year to the US, having written the MCAT twice at that point, with scores of 26S (10PS/6VR/10BS) and 27S (10PS/9VR/8BS). I will be applying again this year, and I am writing the MCAT again very soon.

What kind of score I need to be competitive in the US in the this year's cycle?

GPA 3.95

Hey guys,

I wrote the MCAT 5 times, (wasn't ready at all the first two times, bad luck the last two times, got a 31R the last time).

Do you guys think I still have a shot at some american schools?

My GPA is fairly high and I have pretty decent ECs

Hey guys,

I wrote the MCAT 5 times, (wasn't ready at all the first two times, bad luck the last two times, got a 31R the last time).

Do you guys think I still have a shot at some american schools?

My GPA is fairly high and I have pretty decent ECs

I think you posted on SDN as well :D, but yes, you will have a decent chance if you apply broadly, 15+ schools. Not sure how schools will view the 5x writing, but if you showed significant improvement, then I guess it'll be OK.

Any idea on which schools I should apply to?

i.e, should I just stick to low tiers?

If your GPA is high and if you've got decent extracurrics, then aim for mid + low. Wayne State, Jefferson, Georgetown, George Washington, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis U, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
should I not apply to schools like NYU, MSSM, Dartmouth, Northwestern? I mean, will they even consider me?

I do have an Msc...

not sure if it's worth the cost...

You might have a hard time due to your MCAT situation. It's good to have a few reach schools, but they shouldn't make up the bulk of your list.

• 2 weeks later...
I applied last year to the US, having written the MCAT twice at that point, with scores of 26S (10PS/6VR/10BS) and 27S (10PS/9VR/8BS). I will be applying again this year, and I am writing the MCAT again very soon.

What kind of score I need to be competitive in the US in the this year's cycle?

GPA 3.95

I just received my score back: 35P

How are my chances, seeing how this was my 3rd time?

More specifically, what schools should I apply to?

I just received my score back: 35P

How are my chances, seeing how this was my 3rd time?

More specifically, what schools should I apply to?

That's awesome. How did you improve so much?

from your last applications try to think of schools that gave your applications some attention. If you got an interview from a school then definitely reapply to that school and emphasize your improvements.

I'm applying very widely with my 3.84/32R (3rd attempt MCAT). I know the good schools are probably a reach, but I hope with my research and ECs that some schools take interest. It's just gonna take up a lot of my time, but I'd rather give the good schools a chance than to give up by not even applying.

Archived