Premed 101 Forums

Help with retaking the MCAT vs. apply early.

Hi everyone, I'm really stressed and I can't sleep and I just want to know your thoughts:

I am graduating this June from UofT. My cumulative undergraduate GPA is 3.8 (OMSAS scale and excluding summer credit). My MCAT scores were PS 10, VB 9, BS 12, WS Q. My ECs are pretty average, nothing special: a few volunteering positions in hospitals, some research (lab and clinical), a few clubs, mentoring, etc. I really want to rewrite my MCAT this August and apply to Ontario schools. But for now, I'm considering American schools. I realize my MCAT is a bit on the lower side, but I just want to go for it. I plan on sending out my primary in AMCAS in the first week of June.

Now, my dilemma is whether I should indicate I plan on re-writing the MCAT on my AMCAS primary. I do not want them to hold my application and wait around for those scores. I want to be in the "early" pool. I realize that they will see them later anyways because AMCAS is connected to MCAT. Is there anyway around this? Can I just say I'm not writing it and submit and then actual write it and not have it considered?

Also, any suggestions for American schools for me? I should also mention that I'm missing half a credit in gen chem which I plan on taking in Sept as a non-degree student. Is that harmful?

Thanks!

Can I just say I'm not writing it and submit and then actual write it and not have it considered?

errr... isn't that lying? Definitely NOT suggested for med school applications. Pretty sure there's no way around it seeing as they are they same people who are in charge of your MCAT.....

Also, any suggestions for American schools for me? I should also mention that I'm missing half a credit in gen chem which I plan on taking in Sept as a non-degree student. Is that harmful?

If you're going to finish the credit before you matriculate it should be fine (for most of the schools anyways).

OK, so I've known plenty of people in your position with your GPA and MCAT. You'd definitely be able to get into a lower tier med school if you would be satisfied with that. (Wayne State, Rosalind Franklin, Jeff etc) - but early is key.

I don't know the answer to your question re: trying to cheat AMCAS and the MCAT lol :rolleyes:

Also, with the gen chem issue at U of T, maybe people just emailed the schools individually and many schools will just waive it because they know U of T screws people over with the gen chem/lab issue.

Yeah I don't want to cheat the system.. I emailed AAMC about it. I don't think this is going to work in my favour. I'll end up completing my application in mid-Sept... which is late. Oh well. Anyone know someone who applied in Sept and actually got in? Well at least I'll have new MCAT scores to look forward to.

• 1 month later...

If I am finished with the primaries and all... but I am retaking my MCAT in mid september... Can I even apply to american schools for entry in the fall...I am currently applying to Caribbean schools as the MCAT isn't a big deal for some of them BUT just wondering if anyone has ever had an application complete in october and still gotten in.

I wrote an MCAT before but my verbal score was horrid...

Yeah I don't want to cheat the system.. I emailed AAMC about it. I don't think this is going to work in my favour. I'll end up completing my application in mid-Sept... which is late. Oh well. Anyone know someone who applied in Sept and actually got in? Well at least I'll have new MCAT scores to look forward to.

I'm in a very similar situation to yours. If you already have a decent MCAT score, you should contact specific schools and ask what their policy is. Some will absolutely wait until all scores are in, while some will just use the first valid score they are given, unless you send them an email requesting them to do otherwise. Make sure to check with schools you're interested in; you may find that you're able to be marked complete far earlier than September for some of them.

I'm in a very similar situation to yours. If you already have a decent MCAT score, you should contact specific schools and ask what their policy is. Some will absolutely wait until all scores are in, while some will just use the first valid score they are given, unless you send them an email requesting them to do otherwise. Make sure to check with schools you're interested in; you may find that you're able to be marked complete far earlier than September for some of them.

So you're still marking on your application that you will be writing the MCAT at a later 2010 date, right?

Guest copacetic

your GPA is good. your MCAT has is lacking in verbal, but not terribly so. I would reapply early. The benefits of applying early will outweigh whatever you might gain from redoing your mcat for your particular case. send me a private message if you have any questions.

So you're still marking on your application that you will be writing the MCAT at a later 2010 date, right?

Yes, which is really your only choice, since the AAMC controls both the MCAT as well as AMCAS. The fact that you get an option to indicate a planned MCAT date at all may just be there so that people who want to indicate that they're writing for the first time can do so before they even firmly reserve a spot.

I'm in a similar position.....

first time MCAT (2006 so too old for states) 10P/12B/9V/P, this summer not so good 11P/9B/9V/Q.

Not sure if it's worth it to try re-writing at the end of the summer or giving the states a shot now?

I have an M.Sc. and tons of research/ clinical experience, gpa 3.7 (4.0 grad school).

any thoughts???????

Guest p0stman

To the OP, for a better shot in Canada I'd retake the MCAT and try to up the VR score since some schools have higher cutoffs for it (Western, Queens) and with your GPA you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at those schools. Some other schools also put a pretty heavy emphasis on VR (Calgary and McMaster). With your GPA of 3.8, given if you do better on an MCAT rewrite (32 or 33+) I think you should net a few interviews in the US despite applying a little late.

Archived