Premed 101 Forums

Where to live?

Hi guys,

I'm going to be moving to Halifax, and having only been there the one time for my interview I have no idea what areas I should be looking at.

Any suggestions on areas of Halifax that are nice areas and close to the school & hospitals?

Also I haven't decided whether or not to bring my car with me... I don't want to drive to school, I'd prefer to live close enough to walk. Is Halifax easy to get around? Would you suggest bringing my car with me?

Any general Halifax/Dalhousie advice is also appreciated!

Thanks!

anywhere in "the south end" of halifax is fine. i initially brought my car with me but soon realized it was a waste of parking money had to pay $80/month to park in my car in my building). I got rid of it after 2 months. you can walk everywhere in the south end and everything you need is in that area. a lot of great places in halifax are not advertised online. i found mine by going to halifax for a day and walking around. i'd try to find a place sooner rather than later as there are 2 universities in the south end of halifax and places tend to go quick for the school year. the building i lived in was great - within 10 minute walk to all hospitals and a 2 min walk to the med school (if walking at a leisurely pace). it was on robie & spring garden road. as i mentioned before, it wasnt advertised online.

other popular streets to live on include along tower road, college, martello (i think thats the name of the street, its off of spring garden), south st, south park, wellington, kent, tobin, edward, henry.

avoid "the north end" (gottingen).

hope that helps.

anywhere in "the south end" of halifax is fine. i initially brought my car with me but soon realized it was a waste of parking money had to pay $80/month to park in my car in my building). I got rid of it after 2 months. you can walk everywhere in the south end and everything you need is in that area. a lot of great places in halifax are not advertised online. i found mine by going to halifax for a day and walking around. i'd try to find a place sooner rather than later as there are 2 universities in the south end of halifax and places tend to go quick for the school year. the building i lived in was great - within 10 minute walk to all hospitals and a 2 min walk to the med school (if walking at a leisurely pace). it was on robie & spring garden road. as i mentioned before, it wasnt advertised online.

other popular streets to live on include along tower road, college, martello (i think thats the name of the street, its off of spring garden), south st, south park, wellington, kent, tobin, edward, henry.

avoid "the north end" (gottingen).

hope that helps.

I agree with most of this - get on this *soon*, and there's no substitute to coming to the city and looking at places yourself. Other parts of the north end are okay (e.g Windsor) and will be (somewhat) better value than what you can get further down. A note that the Smitty's building can be hard to get into - though the bachelors are pretty cheap (~$690 incl. heat) they're also really small.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I'm going to be moving to Halifax, and having only been there the one time for my interview I have no idea what areas I should be looking at.

Any suggestions on areas of Halifax that are nice areas and close to the school & hospitals?

Also I haven't decided whether or not to bring my car with me... I don't want to drive to school, I'd prefer to live close enough to walk. Is Halifax easy to get around? Would you suggest bringing my car with me?

Any general Halifax/Dalhousie advice is also appreciated!

Thanks!

There are lots of places to live around school and hospitals, but Halifax has a pretty large area for its population, and busses only come once every half hour throughout the day, and once per hour in the evenings and weekends. Therefore, it may not be as easy to get around to malls and large shopping areas, which all tend to be outside the downtown area outside of walking distance.

Although a car is definitely not necessary if you live near school, it can be very useful if you want to get away from the immediate school area.

I live in the west-end and find its not too long of a walk. Although that depends on how much you like walking....... as it takes me 35 mins to get to the Killam and 45 to the Tupper. Its good exercise though!

The west end apartments are so much cheaper. I don't need a roommate or anything and I am super close to the mall and grocery stores.

Although most buses run every 30 mins or even every hour, the # 1, # 80, and a few others run every 10 and 15 minutes during rush hours.

You definitely don't need a car first year but apparently its a good idea to have independant transportation in following years.

Archived