Premed 101 Forums

Explaining bad MCAT scores?

mlbn

I was just reviewing my application and was looking over my test scores. I wrote the MCAT twice the first time bombiiiiiing the BS section with a 7 (27S over all). The station I was writing my test was problematic and the monitor burned out three times, I had a 45 minute interruption during my PS, and two other monitor incidents during VR. I did end up writing AAMC a letter but they really didn't care and said they think they had taken the right steps accommodating me only putting me on a different computer the third time after my monitor broke! anyways, to make a long story short they said I could include that letter explaining my performance.

I wrote it again 4 months after and ended up with an 11 BS (32 S over all). Now should I find the letter regarding my first mcat and send it to amcas? or do you think it'll be enough to explain it if asked at interviews?:)

You may be asked to explain it in an interview. Honestly, I did not talk about my 5 in verbal reasoning on my 2nd try. It is a blemish, indeed, but I have otherwise exceptional academic record and non-academic achievements.

My 3 MCAT Scores:

28S (9/10/9)

26T (11/5/10)

32R (10/9/13)

I mean, the 5 does stand out... but my WS scores are solid and I have okay verbal scores. If they do ask me in an interview, I will just say, either I had a bad test day or maybe it was an error on their part - given that I have excellent marks in English, kill the WS on each try, and have a good academic record. I would also say that I think I've proven myself in my various accomplishments that I am a good candidate for medical school.

Archived