Premed 101 Forums

Stanford University

Hello,

I am a Canadian, and it has always been my dream to attend Stanford Med. I will be finishing my honors in biology at University of Toronto, and if all goes to plan, I hope to finish with 3.88 GPA. I have extensive volunteering experience ( 8 years working in a hospital, habitat for humanity, Leadership positions at school) and I have 2 years of research experience, with publication. I got a 39Q on my mcat.

I have a few questions, is Stanford on rolling admission? I know that it is wise to apply to American school early, but I wanted to do a couple of more courses in the summer, and hopefully apply by september, would that hinder my chances? ( my gpa would go from a 3.88 to a 3.9, not a big change, but still I end up in the 3.9 region). Should I do a fifth year to bring up my gpa?

That 0.02 will make hardly any difference to your application... you should apply ASAP to have the best chance anywhere. I'm not sure if Stanford is rolling admission though, but it doesn't really matter in the end (0.02 added to your GPA).

Im really quite confused, The law and reflex maybe you guys can help me out. I too have a realtively high MCAT 40R but a crappy GPA of 3.7, i would be fine with mid tier schools, not really aiming for the toptiers or anything. So should i even bother applying this year and waste all that money or do a 5th year to boost the GPA up? or just think about DO or carrib?

Im really quite confused, The law and reflex maybe you guys can help me out. I too have a realtively high MCAT 40R but a crappy GPA of 3.7, i would be fine with mid tier schools, not really aiming for the toptiers or anything. So should i even bother applying this year and waste all that money or do a 5th year to boost the GPA up? or just think about DO or carrib?

Your MCAT is awesome, and your gpa is pretty good (not bad in any sense). I think you should apply to MD schools this year if just to have a possibility of interviews and possible acceptance. Doing a 5th year won't ensure that you'll actually bump up your cgpa. Even if you did well in 5th year, the average of 5 years worth of GPA will not make a significant dent in your cgpa anyhow. Time is of the essence, I would apply with these stats, and not do another year of undergrad. Your gpa and mcat are high enough to have a good chance with US MD schools. With your stats and MCAT, I would say with 90% certainty that you would be accepted into an Osteopathic medical school if you did apply this year. From personal experience, things often go wrong in your actual application year, so it's a good idea to see what the process is like. Chances are, applying as a Canadian will be harder than US citizens. You still have time, the application cycle is still in the middle phase. As for Caribbean, my personal opinion is not to go there, and choose DO school instead. (more info on my signature links if you are interested in this sort of stuff)

Honestly GPA and MCAT are not everything. You have a fantastic!! mcat, I think you could potentially get into a top tier with an MCAT and GPA like that - provided the rest of your application is equally impressive.

Thanks guys!!

I'm going to apply now, and take a few more courses this year ( just in case, things don't work out this year, so i can apply again).

I was wondering guys, what is the latest one can send an application to an American Medical School? Would August be too late late?

Archived