Premed 101 Forums

August 5th MCAT writers!

medhopeful64

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys,

Yeah a lot of beautiful marks congrats to you all.

I'm sort of proud myself, I need to do some investigating what my mark will do for me: 14PS/11VR/11BS/ P-WS (36P).

Anybody know if an 11BS is ever a problem, and how does the P stand up at schools where it matters?

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Yeah a lot of beautiful marks congrats to you all.

I'm sort of proud myself, I need to do some investigating what my mark will do for me: 14PS/11VR/11BS/ P-WS (36P).

Anybody know if an 11BS is ever a problem, and how does the P stand up at schools where it matters?

Thanks

With a P you will not get an interview at Queens.

You may get an interview at Western but they occasionally increase their WS to a Q.

The 11 in BS is fine.

Do you guys think I should go for the September 11th re-write? I have 10 in both VR and BS, and P in WS.

VR is my weakest point and I just don't know if I should risk losing that 10 if I do re-write. Also, I haven't been studying much for the test which means I only have like 3 days to really prepare for it.

I am IP for Alberta, which my score is good for both U of C and U of A. However, if I do want to get some interviews for Ontario schools I need a better score, especially for Queens and Western.

Here the question, is it worth the risk to try again while I do have good enough score for at least 2 schools, especially since I'm particular weak with VR?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Do you guys think I should go for the September 11th re-write? I have 10 in both VR and BS, and P in WS.

VR is my weakest point and I just don't know if I should risk losing that 10 if I do re-write. Also, I haven't been studying much for the test which means I only have like 3 days to really prepare for it.

I am IP for Alberta, which my score is good for both U of C and U of A. However, if I do want to get some interviews for Ontario schools I need a better score, especially for Queens and Western.

Here the question, is it worth the risk to try again while I do have good enough score for at least 2 schools, especially since I'm particular weak with VR?

Kind of in the same boat. I want to rewrite that P... I might get shut out at Western and Queen's. FML.

I would appreciate any and all opinions about whether I need a re-write or not:

MCAT score is 34, Writing Sample is "S"

But lowest point score is Verbal = 10

Medguy do not re-write unless you feel you can easily get an 11 on Verbal. You have an interview for Queens already. Is it really worth it to risk you entire score for one school which may or may nor keep the same cutoffs? I think not.

Changster its up to you. You may not want to risk it if you're not strong in Verbal. Unfortunately, you will not get an interview at Queens with that score and you MAY get an interview at Western.

Kind of in the same boat. I want to rewrite that P... I might get shut out at Western and Queen's. FML.

Sorry gb, you will not get an interview at Queens with a P. They shuffle between a Q and an R. Western goes back and forth between a P and Q historically. It's your call. You could also ask to have your writing section re-scored.

Sorry for any confusion, I am Alberta IP and so Ontario is OOP for me.

LupeFiasco, thanks for your suggestions! There are times when I have pulled off VR = 12, but I now realize that the AAMC's are not great indicators of the real thing.

I have decided not to rewrite! I am especially happy with my written response.

Yeah man there's really no need for you to take that huge risk.

Are you in Edmonton? We should go for a drink to celebrate. I'm totally serious here.

Oh and what would you think of my situation? At least your WS is much higher than mine, which means no Queens for me. I had never gotten past 10 on any of my AAMC practice tests, so I really don't know if I should risk this.

FYI this is my second test, my first try I got 7 on VR :eek: :eek:

Yeah man there's really no need for you to take that huge risk.

Are you in Edmonton? We should go for a drink to celebrate. I'm totally serious here.

Oh and what would you think of my situation? At least your WS is much higher than mine, which means no Queens for me. I had never gotten past 10 on any of my AAMC practice tests, so I really don't know if I should risk this.

FYI this is my second test, my first try I got 7 on VR :eek: :eek:

If you almost always do better than that in practice tests and are confident you can pull it off, then go ahead and rewrite!

Yep, I'm in Edmonton during school year but will be in Calgary for some more time... You go to U of A? What's your major/year?

As for your situation... If you almost always do better than that in practice tests and are confident you can pull it off, then go ahead and rewrite! But otherwise your score is definitely "good enough" for Alberta, although Written Response won't be a strong point!

I actually go to U of T ( I know, what a smart decision I made...), but I come back to Edmonton every summer. I'm going back to Toronto this weekend and this is my 4th and last year. You go to U of A I assume?

I think I'm finished with this MCAT business for good. WS and VR are two of my weakest sections and I really don't think I can pull off the same scores again, never mind improving.

So what schools are you applying? Are the Alberta schools your main focus?

Archived