Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Verbal Improvement: Things that helped YOU

PugStorm

Were there any notable changes to your techniques or strategy that worked specifically for you?

I seem stuck at around 6-8.

There are other similar threads, but I was just wondering if anyone was stuck with a strategy, then changed it and got over a plateau.

-Pug out.

I know I have specifically mentioned this before, but I will repeat it here:

Ensure you are reading effectively first. Make sure that you are reading at the right speed (I had to speed up a lot), normally about 2-3min per passage.

Recently, I have found that if you can develop a method that allows you to go back to the passage while you are answering the questions, you will benefit greatly also. While reading quickly will enable you to remember more while you are answering the questions, many passages have too many details for you to realistically remember them all, so you must develo pa strategy that permits you to go back to the passage while answering the questions. I know there is so much emphasis put on understanding the main point of the passage, and while a do strongly agree with this, after closely looking at the questions of many of the AAMC tests, the majority of questions can be answered by simply knowing small details from the passage.

If you practice on paper tests, or on a computer test that doesn't have the same format as the AAMC tests (where the passages and the questions are side-by -side), developing a good strategy for going back to the passage is difficult, because flipping pages or scrolling on a computer requires lots of time. So, on the AAMC tests, try and develop a method that permits you to do this, without sucking up all of your time. Consequently, you may need to sacrifice some time spent on other things (I suggest trying to read faster, but I know others disagree with this). Remember, the highlight function can become pretty handy, but only when you can learn how to target your highlighting specifically.

I like the idea for this thread - hopefully you won't get ripped apart for creating another "verbal help" thread, though.

I know I have specifically mentioned this before, but I will repeat it here:

Ensure you are reading effectively first. Make sure that you are reading at the right speed (I had to speed up a lot), normally about 2-3min per passage.

Recently, I have found that if you can develop a method that allows you to go back to the passage while you are answering the questions, you will benefit greatly also. While reading quickly will enable you to remember more while you are answering the questions, many passages have too many details for you to realistically remember them all, so you must develo pa strategy that permits you to go back to the passage while answering the questions. I know there is so much emphasis put on understanding the main point of the passage, and while a do strongly agree with this, after closely looking at the questions of many of the AAMC tests, the majority of questions can be answered by simply knowing small details from the passage.

If you practice on paper tests, or on a computer test that doesn't have the same format as the AAMC tests (where the passages and the questions are side-by -side), developing a good strategy for going back to the passage is difficult, because flipping pages or scrolling on a computer requires lots of time. So, on the AAMC tests, try and develop a method that permits you to do this, without sucking up all of your time. Consequently, you may need to sacrifice some time spent on other things (I suggest trying to read faster, but I know others disagree with this). Remember, the highlight function can become pretty handy, but only when you can learn how to target your highlighting specifically.

I like the idea for this thread - hopefully you won't get ripped apart for creating another "verbal help" thread, though.

The Verbal is probably the most talked about section on the MCAT, because it is so foreign, and the learning curve is so flat. The aim here isn't to start another verbal thread, but really more of a "dispel" thread to dispel myths, or ineffective strategies that land people in plateaus. So thank you for posting this. The aim really is framed by your post, using the EK method putting some people into a plateau, then going against what they teach by referring back to the passage to push out and over the plateau.

Thanks Femto. (really, thanks!)

-Pug out

Archived