Premed 101 Forums

VR comparison - Kaplan, EK, and AAMC

gb35

Hey all,

I've found in some other threads general comments on each of the 3, but I was curious about how you all thought they directly compared to each other, and correllated with your test day scores.

My dilemma/situation is this. I've scored anywhere from 12-14 on my Kaplan FL VR sections, and am consistently getting 10-12 in the EK books. I have done two AAMC tests, and scored a 12 and a 15, but I'm a little hesitant to put much stock in the AAMC scores because I wrote them previously over a year ago; I'm worried I subconsciously remembered the passages, even though I didn't go over the explanations last year.

Western's cut-off of 11 has me a little worried. If my EK scores are lower, and perhaps more indicative, then maybe this area needs some work.

I haven't done too many of Kaplan's (only two), but I found them to be very easy, and not at all representative of the AAMC tests. The passages were not that complex, and the questions were way too easy. Many of them you could get right without even reading the passage. It could have just been the book I was using, though.

EK's are pretty good, but the passages are way too easy to read. SDN members have said that they normally scored lower on EK than on the real thing (by 1-2 points, but is highly variable, and probably not worth reading too much into that).

AAMC tests are apparently the most indicative of the real thing.

As you can tell by how my response was worded, I haven't written yet (2.5 more weeks), so I am just summarizing what I have read and heard from talking to other people.

My recomendation is to get a TPR book, and if you are getting more than 10's on their VR, you are golden.

I would also suggest to stop stressing over the score you are getting, and instead focus on your weaknesses and looking for ways to improve. If you do this effectively, I am sure you will get the score you want.

Archived