Premed 101 Forums

DO GPA Converstion

Hi guys,

I can't find a proper way to convert my percentile grades into numerical grades for my DO applications (0.0-4.0). I also tried converting my percentile grades into letter grades so I could then convert them into number grades but I could not find an appropriate document from AACOMAS. I found one from OMASAS and AAMC. Anyone come across this document?

Also does anyone have any ideas as to how to convert thier semester hours. Apparently it's done quite differently in Canada.

What does 0.7 Semester hours mean? Most classes are 3 hours a week so I'm not sure how the 0.7 comes from. ANY help would be super appreciated.

Hi guys,

I can't find a proper way to convert my percentile grades into numerical grades for my DO applications (0.0-4.0). I also tried converting my percentile grades into letter grades so I could then convert them into number grades but I could not find an appropriate document from AACOMAS. I found one from OMASAS and AAMC. Anyone come across this document?

Also does anyone have any ideas as to how to convert thier semester hours. Apparently it's done quite differently in Canada.

What does 0.7 Semester hours mean? Most classes are 3 hours a week so I'm not sure how the 0.7 comes from. ANY help would be super appreciated.

What exactly is a 'percentile" grade? I've never come across this type of grading system before.

As for credit hour conversion - this has been extensively discussed/explained in my "applying to US DO schools" thread. Is the 0.7 credit a course you have done in your undergrad?

I went to Waterloo so our credits were 0.5 for a semester course without a lab; 0.25 for a semester course such as a lab. So a full-credit class was 0.5 credits and a half credit was 0.25.

We were marked in percentiles for example 85% NOT A or B etc...

According the the manual for applications it does not appear like 0.5 is an option or even a 1. They have examples using 0.7 and 1.3.

How did you put your marks in?

I went to Waterloo so our credits were 0.5 for a semester course without a lab; 0.25 for a semester course such as a lab. So a full-credit class was 0.5 credits and a half credit was 0.25.

We were marked in percentiles for example 85% NOT A or B etc...

According the the manual for applications it does not appear like 0.5 is an option or even a 1. They have examples using 0.7 and 1.3.

How did you put your marks in?

mmhmm.. UofT was 0.5 credits, or 1 credit... It was pretty easy to convert that to US semester hours once I figured out how. But with your system, I've really reached the limits of my knowledge... I do not know how you would put that in. I would strongly recommend emailing the AACOMAS application people. Explain the system, and ask them for advice on how to input/convert your credits into US semester hours. Best of luck!

Thanks very much Mashmetoo. I've emailed and called. In your experience how are they more responsive?

I ran into quite a few problems while applying too. Didn't know how the conversion system worked, and when I did convert it, the system changed it back again. So I was short on credit hours. I emailed them a couple times, and they responded on the same day usually, if not the next day.

Archived