Premed 101 Forums

Written Response Evaluation Thread

medguy5367

The other threads were getting really long so I thought I would start my own.

Please evaluate my written responses and I will mark yours! :)

"THE PRIMARY GOAL OF EVERY BUSINESS SHOULD BE TO MAXIMIZE PROFITS"

Business can be defined as the art of generating capital by offering particular products and/or services. Although businesses consist of many different components, such as product quality and customer service, the bottom line for the organization is the amount of profit that is generated. In the industrial world, it is a fact that profitable companies flourish, while unprofitable companies eventually close down. Thus, although a business may take pride in the high-quality of its services or its environment-friendly policies, the fact remains that if profits are not maximized, the business faces a strong risk of failure. An example of this is the famous success story of Bill Gates and Microsoft. Microsoft is notorious for focusing on generating profit rather than providing the best possible quality of product to their customers. However, due to this clear-cut goal, Microsoft is recognized as one of the most profitable and powerful businesses in the world.

Nonetheless, there are times when maximizing profits should not be the primary goal of a business. A notable example would be if a car company realizes that it has produced a faulty, sub-standard model of vehicle but, in order to maximize profits, decides to allow the product to remain on the market. The accountants and actuaries that work for the car company may calculate that doing a complete recall of the vehicle will result in a devestating blow to the company's profits. Additionally, any legal fees from car accidents that might occur will be negligble to the business in the long rnu. Thus, it will be more profitable not to order a recall. Althogh this course of action will maximize profits, it is not ethical. Such actions will quite likely result in the injury or death of innocent citizens. It is a condemnable action because in order to maximize profits, the company is putting human life at risk, which is unacceptable in a civilized society. A society that functions under these ideals would soon find death and destruction spreading everywhere.

The two scenarios offer clashing arguments on whether or not maximizing profits is the chief goal of a business. The contradiction can be resolved by establishing the criteria of safety as the determining factor. In the case of a company that maximizes profits without endangering its customers, such as Microsoft, the rule remains valid. By following this rule, Microsoft will continue its financial climb and remain a successful business. In contrast, a business that is risking the safety of its customers in order to maximize profits is following a wrong course of action. A society requires the establishment of a certain level of safety for its citizens, and this cannot be compromised in favour of the profit of a business.

Archived