Premed 101 Forums

How should I study for the MCAT?

tickytacky23

Hi all,

I'm giving myself about a year to learn all the physical and biological sciences for the MCAT (want to write in fall 2011). I haven't taken chem or physics since grade 11 highschool (about 2002), and I took 1st year uni bio 3 years ago, and did ok, not stellar, in it. Long story short, I have a lot to learn, but I am ready and willing to do so.

I'm going to purchase some books, either kaplan or examkrackers I think, and I might get a tutor. I don't think I can afford to take an MCAT prep course, even though I learn better by listening.

How should I study for PS and BS over the next year while completing a full-time course load and volunteering weekly? I'm hoping to do a few hours per week during the school year, and then more intensive during next summer (although I need to also complete 2 summer courses next summer as well to catch up from taking a year off my UG due to illness).

I usually make notes for my courses, but usually spend way too much time doing this and end up basically copying out the same info in the text/notes (not very productive, and very time consuming). I'm working on changing this way of studying/notemaking.

Should I make my own notes from the books and then study from them? Should I just read the books and make key points and skip the lengthy notemaking process?

Archived