Premed 101 Forums

MCAT physics predicament!

Ikky43

Hey guys! I am going into second year and plan to take the MCAT this coming summer. The problem is: I haven't and won't be able to take the second half of intro physics. I've already taken 6-100 series courses so my physics will not count towards my cGPA etc. I am wondering if it is necessary to take this course for the MCAT? I CAN still drop my GER100 (intro to German; I decided to add a German minor) course this year (which i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want to) in order to take the second half of intro physics. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

There's nothing terribly advanced about the physics on the MCAT, so if you took physics in high school and/or if you think you can teach yourself the concepts independently, you'll probably be okay. What I would recommend you do is go on the MCAT website and get the lists of physics concepts that the test covers and see how familiar you think you are with them, and then maybe do a practice PS section from somewhere - just borrow someone's prep book or get one from the library or something. Even if you don't do well on it at this point, if you feel like the concepts are at least familiar and that you'd be able to get them with a bit of review, then you're probably okay. If there are things on there you've never heard of, then you might want to rethink taking the class. Hope that helps!

For what it's worth, I haven't come across anything in studying for MCAT physics that I had not seen in high school, so it is doable.

That being said, if you do really well in an intro to physics course at the university level, I think you will find the MCAT physics pretty straightforward and save yourself a lot of worrying come study time.

So I guess it all comes down to how attached you are to that German course right now...

Archived