Premed 101 Forums

Ten days till test... Scores have suddenly dropped!

medguy5367

I was very happy with my full-length scores throughout July...

However, over the past week, I have done AAMC #9 and AAMC #10 and my scores have dropped in each section! These two tests have given me my lowest total scores EVER!

Why is this?

I thought these were the "hardest" because they are the highest numbered but apparently that's not true...

For anyone wondering, I have basically seen a 3 to 4 point drop in my total score...

Could I just be overworked? Should I relax or should I review more material?

For what it's worth, I was getting 39-41 consistently a few weeks back, then suddenly got consecutive 36's on AAMC 6 and 7. I got pretty worried, because I write on August 4th. I was definitely pushing myself too hard. I took a few days "off" where instead of writing tests and focusing on science content I read some easy articles I thought might help with verbal and be broadly applicable for writing sample prompts.

After this "break", my scores rebounded to around 40 again. You may just have hit a bit of a wall and need to tone it down a bit. I think I was trying to write too many tests in too short a time period.

I agree with gb35. You've probably hit a bit of a wall from studying so hard. AAMC 9 and 10 are aguably the "harder ones" which could also be a reason that your scores went down. That being said, I still think its probably because your mind needs a little bit of rest... In my opinion, you should try to relax a little more (especially a day or two before the test) to ease your mind (but then again, thats my opinion and I'm sure others would say different things).

Yes 40+ is ridiculous.... Are you one of those people that gets 13+ in Verbal Reasoning?

Well I have completed 13 full lengths so far this summer, and my average is 12.9 in VR. It hasn't climbed over the course of the summer though, it has just ranged from an 11 to a couple 15's.

PS has been eerily consistent at 13, and BS has ranged from 12 to 15.

The writing sample cutoff has me a little worried though for the Ontario schools...

Well I have completed 13 full lengths so far this summer, and my average is 12.9 in VR. It hasn't climbed over the course of the summer though, it has just ranged from an 11 to a couple 15's.

PS has been eerily consistent at 13, and BS has ranged from 12 to 15.

The writing sample cutoff has me a little worried though for the Ontario schools...

LOL you are probably sick of hearing this... but how do you approach verbal?

Do you make any notes while you are reading? Do you "stereotype" the author?

LOL you are probably sick of hearing this... but how do you approach verbal?

Do you make any notes while you are reading? Do you "stereotype" the author?

Yep, I make notes. For each paragraph, I try and write down a few words on the point of the paragraph. Never details, but just things like "Intro. conflict theories" if some contrasting theories were introduced, or something like that.

And then at the end, I try and get the purpose. But I find it a little wasteful to write down the entire purpose, so I usually just try and get a verb out of it, such as "Explain" or "Argue" (advocate, refute, etc....).

I don't end up ever consulting my notes, but I've still found that when I don't write them I have a harder time with the questions. I think forcing myself to write something down makes me read a little more actively.

• 1 month later...

Archived