Premed 101 Forums

Strange Writing Prompts - How would you attack this

dw88

Hi ladies and gents,

So with a bit over 7 days to go, I'm just jumping through examples, practice exams and practicing writing random prompts just to get some confidence and expertise and I stumbled into this essay prompt.

I think it is a sort of strange one because what I refer to as parts a,b and c are seemingly disjoint. (a being the state what it means, b being the give a counter example, c being the explain when its true when its not parts).

Prompt and parts b and c from website:

Today's mobile society often loses in family and community ties what it gains in individual freedom.

Describe a specific situation in which mobility might enhance family or community ties. Discuss what you think determines which is more important to the individual--mobility, or maintaining family and community ties.

What is so weird about this one is that part c says which is more important: ties or mobility? When I read this prompt, in no way do I see a "the individual must choose which is more valuable" topic, and part b seems to agree with me.

As a result of this - my essay is very skewed, paragraphs 1 2 and 3 are tied together rather weekly because the tasks don't really belong in the same essay.

My biggest question is: which is more important - unity in the essay or straight up nailing all 3 of the tasks?

Thanks - and does anybody else find this one a little bit off or just me? haha

Archived