Premed 101 Forums

Forfeit one passage?

Femto

How many people here actually end up forfeiting one passage?

I am writing in a week and my VR scores have suddenly dropped. Needless to say - I am kinda worried!

I think it may be because I spend too long on the more difficult passages, and in turn I am forced to rush a couple of the later passages. I used to think it was absurd to absolutely forfeit a passage, but now I think it may be a good option, as long as you are very confident on each question for the other six passages, and leave at least 2 min for the last passage to hazard a few guesses.

Any one else feel this way, or legitimately tried this strategy?

Imo, if you read the first few lines and realize that its going to be a difficult passage, skip it. I used to have trouble with time when I spent too much time on the difficult passages too. On average I find the easier passages can be done in 7-8 minutes, so you should have roughly the same amount of time at the end for the difficult passages. I don't know if this is going to help, but I feel like its better than using 2 minutes to make guesses.

So far what works for me is:

1) Take the passages as they come, if it looks too hard I skip it. BUT look at the questions too before you judge. Some hard reads have VERY easy questions. Don't go through them all and rate and then start, thats a waste of time.

2) Do the ones you feel comfortable with, rack up points there. Then do the hard. Otherwise I find I dwell on the hard ones and then might end up giving up points on the easy.

3) I did an experiement the other day. I forfeited a passage and it killed me. I was doing really really well, like maybe only 5 wrong and then I just guessed on the last one. Well I guess wrong, picked all Bs or something. Yeah there was maybe only 1 B. So my what would have been 11 turned to a 9. No med school for me.

My strategy, is leave enough time to at least skim the last passage and try to answer the questions. I tried that strategy got an 11.

Moral of the story.. I hate verbal.

How many people here actually end up forfeiting one passage?

I am writing in a week and my VR scores have suddenly dropped. Needless to say - I am kinda worried!

I think it may be because I spend too long on the more difficult passages, and in turn I am forced to rush a couple of the later passages. I used to think it was absurd to absolutely forfeit a passage, but now I think it may be a good option, as long as you are very confident on each question for the other six passages, and leave at least 2 min for the last passage to hazard a few guesses.

Any one else feel this way, or legitimately tried this strategy?

Archived