Premed 101 Forums

Verbal Reasoning Problem

imagination07

Hey everyone, so going through my mcat preparation, particularly my verbal reasoning scores aren't quite weak and I was just wondering if anyone else had this type of problem.

So often when I read a passage, for some reason, I cannot understand any of it (not from EK 101, I find these passages easier to read, but from the aamc/kaplan VR passages), and I will try to attempt the questions since I don't have time to go back and try to reread the passage to understand it. Nonetheless, my score for VR is obviously low most of the time (a couple flukes here and there...)

What is strange is when I come across passages that I do feel like I understand the main idea, concept, what it is talking about and what the author's view is, after answering the questions, I still don't see much improvement in my VR score, it's roughly about the same, or maybe slightly higher in a few cases. What is the underlying problem here?

I have been trying to attack the passages (EK style), read through and understand the main idea...it worked in the past (when I worked through EK 101 - did those verbal passages first, scores were higher then), but now, it doesn't seem to be working anymore and I can't even get the main idea from a lot of passages. Any help would be appreciated!

Archived