Premed 101 Forums

Should I even bother if I'll finish everything by October?

I'm thinking of applying to American med schools. However, since I'm writing the MCAT in the first week of September and am doing research at the same time. I won't have time to work on the application till later. I understand that due to rolling admissions, the applications received later are at a considerable disadvantage, so should I bother applying to American schools if I'll be able to finish everything by October? I would appreciate your honest opinions. Thanks.

I'm thinking of applying to American med schools. However, since I'm writing the MCAT in the first week of September and am doing research at the same time. I won't have time to work on the application till later. I understand that due to rolling admissions, the applications received later are at a considerable disadvantage, so should I bother applying to American schools if I'll be able to finish everything by October? I would appreciate your honest opinions. Thanks.

It may be worth taking a look for schools that DON'T do rolling admissions, since I think some schools have deadlines that are like October 15 or November 1 etc.

Although some schools do not have rolling admissions (i.e., Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU to name a few), ALL schools issue interviews on a rolling-basis so it is better to be complete as soon as possible even for non-rolling schools.

That being said, October is late but admission is still possible at that point.

if your application is strong, even if you apply in october you will still be looked at. do well on ur mcat and submit your primary earlier on, so you can get verified and work on those secondary essays early.

if your app is weak however, october means very little chance and don't bother applying because if you don't get in..and have to apply again next year, you will be counted as a re-applicant.

Archived