Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

"Those applicants who attend, or who have recently graduated from, an undergraduate institution or a post-baccalaureate premedical program which offers a Health Professions Advisor or Advisory Committee should submit a letter from this person or committee."

What do they mean by the Advisory committiee? Who do you get a reference letter from?

"Those applicants who attend, or who have recently graduated from, an undergraduate institution or a post-baccalaureate premedical program which offers a Health Professions Advisor or Advisory Committee should submit a letter from this person or committee."

What do they mean by the Advisory committiee? Who do you get a reference letter from?

I think advisory committees are a panel/individual evaluators who determine how you would fit in a professional program (med, pharmacy, law etc.) based on your undergrad performance. They're typically much more common in the American universities, and for AMCAS they can give an evaluation on the applicant and send it to AMCAS as a reference.

I don't think many, if any, Canadian universities have advisory committees of that nature though

I think advisory committees are a panel/individual evaluators who determine how you would fit in a professional program (med, pharmacy, law etc.) based on your undergrad performance. They're typically much more common in the American universities, and for AMCAS they can give an evaluation on the applicant and send it to AMCAS as a reference.

I don't think many, if any, Canadian universities have advisory committees of that nature though

oh ok, so we need reference letters from professors who thought us in a course...

thanks for the reply!

oh ok, so we need reference letters from professors who thought us in a course...

thanks for the reply!

umm.. no.. it's not asking for a prof's letter, it's asking for a "committee" letter. Most Canadian schools do NOT have such a committee. You would HAVE to email your school, explain your situation (that there's no committee, and whether they can waive this requirement, or whether a professor's letter will suffice in place of a "committee" letter.

umm.. no.. it's not asking for a prof's letter, it's asking for a "committee" letter. Most Canadian schools do NOT have such a committee. You would HAVE to email your school, explain your situation (that there's no committee, and whether they can waive this requirement, or whether a professor's letter will suffice in place of a "committee" letter.

A lot of the medschools say if your school doesn't have that committee, the reference letters need to be from professors who thought you in the course.

Archived