Premed 101 Forums

Appropriate Lab Work for Prereqs

While I know that prerequisites vary from school to school, it seems that the majority require lab work along with their biology and organic chemistry requirements. Does anyone know if this means that a lab component is required for each term of the prerequisite lecture requirement? For example, if two terms of organic chemistry are required, does each term need to have a lab component or only one?

I ask because I'm applying out of mechanical engineering, and am thus doing most of my prerequisites after the fact. As a result, any way to make the workload a little lighter would be great. Thanks!

While I know that prerequisites vary from school to school, it seems that the majority require lab work along with their biology and organic chemistry requirements. Does anyone know if this means that a lab component is required for each term of the prerequisite lecture requirement? For example, if two terms of organic chemistry are required, does each term need to have a lab component or only one?

I ask because I'm applying out of mechanical engineering, and am thus doing most of my prerequisites after the fact. As a result, any way to make the workload a little lighter would be great. Thanks!

Both terms. If only 1 lab component for 2 terms, you owe them hours.

• 6 months later...

Mashmetoo what do you mean by owe them hours? I'm in a similar situation as Joe Carter, the organic chem at my school is offered part I and II but the lab component is covered all within part I but they just do labs ahead (ie with material covered in the next semester). Is there anything I can do to explain my situation or would you recommend I email them to explain my situation?

Mashmetoo what do you mean by owe them hours? I'm in a similar situation as Joe Carter, the organic chem at my school is offered part I and II but the lab component is covered all within part I but they just do labs ahead (ie with material covered in the next semester). Is there anything I can do to explain my situation or would you recommend I email them to explain my situation?

That's really strange. US schools do semester hours for courses. So a half course with lab would be 4 credit/semester hours to them (but the same half year course + lab would be worth only 3 in Canadian schools). There can be 2 interpretations by med schools: 1) the 2 half courses you took is equivalent to 1 full year of organic chem + lab, or 2) you had 2 half courses of org chem, but only one of these had a lab, so you owe them lab hours (which was Joe Carter's case I thought, because he didn't specificy if the first half credit he took had enough lab hours to cover the second half credit). Either case, you should email your schools to explain the situation (as it sounds like you have enough credits, but adcoms might interpret your transcript as case 2, especially with the confusion of converting a Canadian transcript to US credit hours).

Try emsiling them, but here is a novel idea for those who can't get away with it-

Athabasca does Organic chem labs several times per year, in a 5-day session in Edmonton- there is one in the summer at McMaster (I think) too. You might be able to join in to a lab section and get some sort of credit for it that way.

I have no idea if this would work but it is quick, would cost something but not as much as a full course, and is actually really fun.

Archived