Premed 101 Forums

Ek 101 Vr

jordan19

Hey...

So I have DLED the EK 101 passages from torrents. I started doing them - they seem a little too easy... I thought they were suppose to be fair and of the appropriate level for the MCAT...

Any thoughts? Comments to share?

How far have you gotten?

The ones at the beginning I found fair, but as I'm going half way through the book... some passages I find I can't really concentrate on and I don't do well on them. The passages are opinion based.. I don't know, I feel ambivalent about EK101 but everyone recommends it.

Btw - it is the 2002 version. I've only done the first two sets though, and well - they weren't too bad at all - but a lot of information retireval questions though.... rather odd

The passages are the same, I downloaded the torrent, and I have the second edition book.

Albeit being a science student, the worst I do is on the science passages.

I found that the writing and language used in EK is simpler and easier to understand than AAMC/MCAT. In general, EK passages seem to have more of a "summary" feel to them, as opposed to an exerpt from a journal. Also, I found that EK lacks those very complex and hard to understand passages that you sometimes see in AAMC practice tests or on the MCAT.

With that being said, I still recommend doing EK passages. Even if EKs isn't quite at the same level as the real thing, any practice is good for VR imo.

The onyl value I see in EK is it is good practice at answering the questions, and not good practice if you have difficulty comprehending a passage.

As nuD said, the language etc. is way too easy to understand.

There is very little flow to the AAMC passages, and the EK passages are too well written, making them easier to understand. I find the AAMC passages brutal in their literary quality, as no good piece of writing reads as stupidly uncomprehensible as their passages, but that is what makes them harder.

In my opinion, Princeton review is the best for VR. Also, LSAT prep materials titled "The Official LSAT PrepTest", books #48,49,50 and 51, all have VR like passages in them, with other sections that give you really good practice at answering questions based on inference and author reasoning.

I agree that I find EK passages are better written and easier to understand. I also find their questions and answers to be more ambiguous and opinionated that the practice AAMCs, so my scores varied a lot between tests.

I'd still recommend it though, any extra practice should probably help.

Archived