Premed 101 Forums

Some quick advice

Roronoa

I have a couple questions regarding the MCAT. BTW I go to University of Toronto Mississauga and I'm double majoring in bio and psych with a chem minor.

1. Is general first year chemistry and organic chem enough preparation for the MCAT? I'm taking 2nd year inorganic chem and 2nd year thermodynamics for my chem minor. Am I just wasting my time with these courses? Should I even bother with a chem minor? The course load is heavy for these classes (4 hour labs..). I know orgo is a must, but I'm not too sure about these other chem courses.

2. For my biology major which scenario am I likely better off with for the MCAT and med school later on.

a. Full year Human physiology OR

b. Ecology (half year) and general Physiology (half year).

Thanks!

I am currently studying for my MCAT (Sept 9th), but from what I have studied I don't think you need those 2nd year chem classes (though if the interest you, take them). I also find that a lot of the bio is physiology based with only a very tiny amount devoted to ecology. Hope that helps a bit :)

I am currently studying for my MCAT (Sept 9th), but from what I have studied I don't think you need those 2nd year chem classes (though if the interest you, take them). I also find that a lot of the bio is physiology based with only a very tiny amount devoted to ecology. Hope that helps a bit :)

So which would you say is better for the MCAT, general physiology or human physiology?

Also, those chem courses don't really interest me so if its not necessary to take them to prepare for the MCAT then I'm gonna ditch them. The amount of work is too much.

1. I would recommend not taking inorganic and thermo if you're taking them just for the MCAT's sake. First year chemistry and orgo cover everything you need to know and are more than sufficient. Also, to be honest, taking upper year chemistry courses can bring your understanding of chemistry to a different level and actually make you overthink MCAT questions. I was a chem major, and it was almost like I had to bring my chemistry back to first year level to do better on the practice tests.

2. I didn't take any physiology or ecology courses (only first year bio) and I felt my understanding in these areas was good for the MCAT. So in my opinion I wouldn't base this decision on which is better for the MCAT.

2. For my biology major which scenario am I likely better off with for the MCAT and med school later on.

a. Full year Human physiology OR

b. Ecology (half year) and general Physiology (half year).

Thanks!

Go for the full year human physio... Half of the bio material on the mcat covers physio and there is rarely any ecology.

Archived