Premed 101 Forums

Are breaks long enough?

answerjl

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how you have found the 10 minute breaks. Is 10 minutes enough time to sign out, go to the washroom/ eat a snack and sign back in?

Thanks.

u can take a break longer than 10 min. The timer is on the computer it won't automatically start. And yes 10 min is more than enough to do the things listed above.

u can take a break longer than 10 min. The timer is on the computer it won't automatically start. And yes 10 min is more than enough to do the things listed above.

I knew it worked like that on the practice MCATs, but can you really do that on the real MCAT as well?

I knew it worked like that on the practice MCATs, but can you really do that on the real MCAT as well?

No, it doesn't. Your time will start if you don't return. The lady at the front desk will make that clear...and if she's nice (assuming it's a she), she'll remind you that your break is nearing it's end.

Generally, it depends on how fast you can pee & eat!

Yes, 10 min is usually long enough to go to the washroom and choke down a quick snack :P Just keep an eye on the time. At the center where I wrote mine, there was only one washroom (and it was only for one person too) so whether or not I had time to eat depended on how long I had to wait to go to the washroom.. lol. But hopefully your center will be better. Just bring snacks that are easy to choke down, like a granola bar and some water.

Yes, 10 min is usually long enough to go to the washroom and choke down a quick snack :P Just keep an eye on the time. At the center where I wrote mine, there was only one washroom (and it was only for one person too) so whether or not I had time to eat depended on how long I had to wait to go to the washroom.. lol. But hopefully your center will be better. Just bring snacks that are easy to choke down, like a granola bar and some water.

lol im never drink water during the exam... especially before verbal :o

I wouldn't worry about a washroom line. I did the MCAT last summer and since everyone in the writing room had a different start time I never noticed more than two other people up and about while I was on my breaks. Try not to stress the little stuff.

Should I force myself to pee if I dont feel like peeing? :P

(since chances are I will feel like peeing half way through verbal :o )

I never really needed to eat... but I had enough time to have a sandwhich... I didn't take my first break actually, I was on a roll, and I had finished the first section with some time left, so I just slowly read over the answers I had put, took some deep breaths and moved to the break option. I let myself breath for a second or two, then I dove in again.

If you want a longer break, you're going to have to leave the section while there is still time in it, just leave it running... keep a mental note of how much time remained (lets say 5 minutes) and add that to the given break length, and just aim to be back in 10-15 minutes... but that only works if you were ahead of time.

Archived