Premed 101 Forums

High MCAT, Low cGPA

ryacha

Hey all,

So I'm in a pickle, I was going to ignore US totally since my cGPA is ~3.45 and I had a 30M on my MCAT. However, I just got back my second MCAT score and its a 39P (14PS, 12VS, 13BS).

I know American schools are more MCAT heavy, but how heavy? My LizzyM score (from the epic MASR spreadsheet) rates me at 74.5, and competitive for upper tier schools but I somehow doubt it.

Any guidance from the veterans?

I'm a canadian citizen, and to be honest all my research has gone into canadian schools, leaving me uniformed on the American ones.

The 3.45 is from an aamc spreadsheet I got hold of, but I'm not too sure if its right. If anything it will be higher than 3.45, not lower.

Do canadian friendly med schools (aka Harvard (I wish!), Brown etc.) have more difficult standards for Canadians? I wish I had the MASR but again, I had no idea I'd be applying

Guest p0stman
I'm a canadian citizen, and to be honest all my research has gone into canadian schools, leaving me uniformed on the American ones.

The 3.45 is from an aamc spreadsheet I got hold of, but I'm not too sure if its right. If anything it will be higher than 3.45, not lower.

Do canadian friendly med schools (aka Harvard (I wish!), Brown etc.) have more difficult standards for Canadians? I wish I had the MASR but again, I had no idea I'd be applying

I would think for schools like Harvard it would take much more than a good GPA/MCAT to get in... however in terms of most US schools I'd think you stand a decent chance with an MCAT score like that, although it would be a bit late in the cycle if you apply now.

Archived