Premed 101 Forums

Should I not even bother/Void?

Misanthrope

Apparuntly, i not reed gud.

The MCAT is fast approaching, and the scores from my first pratice AAMC (#8) are 12 - 7 -12.

Looking at the analysis, I scored a 10/12 on the science passages, 9/11 on the social sciences, and an epic 6/17 for humanities.

Any hope?

Also, is this practice test indicative of the actual MCAT? Some of the questions seemed like such gimmies (except in the verbal section, of course)

It looks like you read fine to me. The problem seems to be with interpreting what's going on in humanities passages. Since you have such a short time to work with I'd recommend focusing on doing humanities passages as well.

Make sure you're reading with a purpose in mind, e.g. why is the author writing this, what is the central idea in the passage, where does the author show bias. Some people read as though they're going to debate with the author, others pretend a friend is telling them a story. Find a strategy that works for you.

Best of luck!

I find that if I convince myself I'm interested and excited about the subject matter I absorb more of it... Verbal is just one of those things you have to find what works best for you. There's no magic bullet.

Your PS and BS scores are very good!:) If I were you I would certainly still write. You've only done one practice AAMC so I'm sure your scores will improve. I recommend the EK 101 VR passages if you're looking for more practice questions. Good luck!

This doesn't work for everyone but try reading the questions really briefly and keep a couple key words/points in your head as you read the passage. Also, very important, make sure you take a 5s break between each passage. Close your eyes and just breathe, then get going again. Best of luck dood.

Archived