Premed 101 Forums

2010-2011 Interview Cycle Travel Logistics

Hey guys!

So some members on our forums are already hearing back for interviews in the US and, judging from the previous year, it seems like the invites will pick up steam over the next few months.

With that in mind, I thought it would be ideal to get a travel thread going for this year to help each other out w/ regards to booking flights/reasonable priced accommodations and generally any tips that pertain to specific locations.

I hope you guys are down with this idea and so I'll start it off (let's do it in alphabetical order!)

--

Kentucky

Round-trip flight: ~$530 (CAD) booked on travelocity 2 months prior

Notes on flight:

No direct flights are available to Lexington so connections are necessary. I will be traveling through Detroit w/ Delta Airlines for a (hopefully) total travel time of about 3.5 hrs each way.

Hotel: ~$75 (CAD) Bluegrass Extended Stay

Hotel details:

Roughly 5-10min by cab from UKCOM, newly renovated (hence tentative 1 stare rating) with good recent reviews. Best option in terms of proximity to interview site was Hotel Inn Express at UKCOM itself but I couldn't justify spending ~$235 USD w/ taxes for one night.

Other considerations:

Lexington is a race meet hot spot. Try to take this into account if heading there. Apparently, late September to early October there are going to be Equine World Championships hence getting around town by taxi may take a bit more time than usual + hotel prices are hiked up considerably.

--

Hey guys!

So some members on our forums are already hearing back for interviews in the US and, judging from the previous year, it seems like the invites will pick up steam over the next few months.

With that in mind, I thought it would be ideal to get a travel thread going for this year to help each other out w/ regards to booking flights/reasonable priced accommodations and generally any tips that pertain to specific locations.

I hope you guys are down with this idea and so I'll start it off (let's do it in alphabetical order!)

--

Kentucky

Round-trip flight: ~$530 (CAD) booked on travelocity 2 months prior

Notes on flight:

No direct flights are available to Lexington so connections are necessary. I will be traveling through Detroit w/ Delta Airlines for a (hopefully) total travel time of about 3.5 hrs each way.

Hotel: ~$75 (CAD) Bluegrass Extended Stay

Hotel details:

Roughly 5-10min by cab from UKCOM, newly renovated (hence tentative 1 stare rating) with good recent reviews. Best option in terms of proximity to interview site was Hotel Inn Express at UKCOM itself but I couldn't justify spending ~$235 USD w/ taxes for one night.

Other considerations:

Lexington is a race meet hot spot. Try to take this into account if heading there. Apparently, late September to early October there are going to be Equine World Championships hence getting around town by taxi may take a bit more time than usual + hotel prices are hiked up considerably.

--

Thought I'd make a post on this one. If you are in the SW Ont, you can/should fly out of Buffalo if it is possible, which will be way cheaper. Southwest and Jetblue service a great number of cities in the US from Buffalo. When I interviewed at UK, I flew Buffalo-Louisville with 1 hour drive to Lexington. I had to rent a car anyways in KY to get to my rural interview, but the cost of flight+car was only $400 or so tax included. Southwest Airlines often has some Ballin' seat sales on. For hotels, in KY I used Hotwire.com and lottery had it that I stayed at the Campbell House (Crowne Plaza) which is a 3 star and pretty much 1 block from the school. I paid $115USD for 2 nights. Also consider too that a lot of schools have student hosts as well. UK does. When I interviewed at Jefferson I did fly TO to PHI, as I didn't have a car at that time. But I did use student hosting there.

One more tip: try to avoid any layovers/stops if possible. Both times I flew to the US I had one stop, and both times I had plenty of trouble (ie. missed connection in Baltimore and stuck for the night on route to Louisville, and arriving in PHI 4+ hours later than scheduled because of a lack of plane for a 15min flight from Newark to PHI).

• 2 weeks later...

One more tip: try to avoid any layovers/stops if possible. Both times I flew to the US I had one stop, and both times I had plenty of trouble (ie. missed connection in Baltimore and stuck for the night on route to Louisville, and arriving in PHI 4+ hours later than scheduled because of a lack of plane for a 15min flight from Newark to PHI).

DITTO on being careful about layovers. On my way to EVMS last February, I connected in Washington Dulles both to and from Canada. I missed my connection BOTH TIMES which was quite nervewracking, and perhaps it serves me right because my layovers were 1h long, and 45 min long, respectively. Try to get a 1.5h+, even 2h+ layover if you must have them at all!

Also, I booked my hotel via priceline which can be cheaper than hotwire .. My suggestion is, check the hotwire rate for the neighbourhood you want to stay in, then bid a slightly lower rate on priceline. It saves tons of money (unless your school has special discounted rates for hotels if you specify that you're an interviewee)

Good luck, 2011 cycle interviewees!

Thanks for the heads up guys. It looks like I may have problems since I have a 45m stopover. Unfortunately I can't reschedule/no refund. So I suppose a backup plan for me would be to have a map so I can drive Detroit to Lexington if need be. Not the best but my only option if I fail to connect on the stopover.

Btw, are there any age limits on car rentals in the US? I'm 22 and have a full license, but just want to make sure.

Thanks for the heads up guys. It looks like I may have problems since I have a 45m stopover. Unfortunately I can't reschedule/no refund. So I suppose a backup plan for me would be to have a map so I can drive Detroit to Lexington if need be. Not the best but my only option if I fail to connect on the stopover.

Btw, are there any age limits on car rentals in the US? I'm 22 and have a full license, but just want to make sure.

It varies for the state and company. Usually car rentals are limited to 25 and over but I would check with the rental company for the state you're in.

It varies for the state and company. Usually car rentals are limited to 25 and over but I would check with the rental company for the state you're in.

Thanks moo. Will take a look into this closer to my flight then. Any other backups anyone can suggest? I'm not familiar with the US train system, but would that possibly be an option if flight doesn't work out?

Amtrak is good and reliable. I would NOT take Greyhound though, even though it may be cheaper by a few bucks. Greyhound in the US is very ghetto. Stations are poorly lit and are quite dangerous especially at night.

Haha, I can confirm on this one. I Greyhounded from Toronto to Cleveland and back. Not the safest ride at all. Also did it to Detroit.

Came back alive both times to post this =)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i saw this post after i booked my flight to st. louis. now i have a connection in Chicago for 1 hour. um, it seems like i won't have enough time. for those who had been in Chicago airport, does it really take more than 1 hour to go from the main terminal to terminal 1? like why does it take 1.5h+ to go around?

thanks!

DITTO on being careful about layovers. On my way to EVMS last February, I connected in Washington Dulles both to and from Canada. I missed my connection BOTH TIMES which was quite nervewracking, and perhaps it serves me right because my layovers were 1h long, and 45 min long, respectively. Try to get a 1.5h+, even 2h+ layover if you must have them at all!

Also, I booked my hotel via priceline which can be cheaper than hotwire .. My suggestion is, check the hotwire rate for the neighbourhood you want to stay in, then bid a slightly lower rate on priceline. It saves tons of money (unless your school has special discounted rates for hotels if you specify that you're an interviewee)

Good luck, 2011 cycle interviewees!

What airline are you flying on? If you're flying on one airline (UA or AA) you should be fine as the terminals are close together. I flew mostly UA when I went to school in Chicago and they are located in terminal 1, with two concourses, B and C. If you have a connection you should be fine. B and C are joined by an underground walkway. It may be tight but you should be ok, unless your flight is delayed.

What airline are you flying on? If you're flying on one airline (UA or AA) you should be fine as the terminals are close together. I flew mostly UA when I went to school in Chicago and they are located in terminal 1, with two concourses, B and C. If you have a connection you should be fine. B and C are joined by an underground walkway. It may be tight but you should be ok, unless your flight is delayed.

i'm going with aircanada and i have to go from main terminal to terminal 1

• 2 weeks later...
oh and i have a BMO mastercard. does it still work in the states if i were to go shopping or something?

Your credit card will work anywhere in the world Mastercard is accepted. You will be just charged the going exchange rate + credit card premium on the rate. You'll see the exchange rate charged on your statement.

Hey, what's wrong with the metrolink? i was planning to take it and then bus to the host house where i will be staying. oh and i have a BMO mastercard. does it still work in the states if i were to go shopping or something?

Hehe, sorry I kind of exaggerated. I definitely would take the metrolink again. If you don't draw attention to yourself I'm sure it's fine. I would say it's actually cleaner and roomier than the TTC in Toronto.

Has anyone taken the tunnel bus from windsor to detroit? which stop is it best to get off at to closest to wayne state?

Oh dear, the tunnel bus goes nowhere near Wayne State. Detroit's not a city you want to walk around either, especially in a suit . . my suggestion is to cab it from in Windsor if you can't drive. Or stay with a student host on campus, the night before.

Do you have a Wayne State interview, mlbn? If so, congrats, good luck, and lemme know if you got ques .. that was my first interview last year. E-mail (you can do it thru my profile) or PM me since I don't check forum posts here very often.

it all depends when you want to pass the tunnel, if it early in the morning there maybe traffic and then cab drive will be expensive , I suggest take the bus from Windsor to Detroit, get off after tunnel, there is a hotel exactly beside the tunnel, then take a taxi from hotel, but consider that there will be traffic in tunnel in morning so you are going to be late even with the bus,

why not take the greyhound to Detroit then take cab from there to university

Good luck

but Windsor train station is far from the tunnel, but greyhound station in Windsor is exactly where you have to take the bus to Detroit, you are going by via train right? it is far from tunnel

what ever you do, don't take the cab to pass the border, you may have to wait in traffic, and then you will be paying $ 100 for 5 min drive , I suggest rent a car , Wayne gave you parking card right? rent a car from via station

Archived