Premed 101 Forums

Verbal Trouble

VerbalTrouble

Hello y'all.

So I've been studying for the MCAT for the last 4 months now. I'm fine with everything except the verbal reasoning section. I'll read the passage, and not know what is going on. I'll try to internalize the authors meaning but usually it is wrong. I've tried all the methods of VR techniques. I've read EK's verbal twice and have tried Kaplan's passage mapping. For the last month I've done around 4-6 passages a day, mostly taking my time with them because I find that there are a lot of hard passages though, and I won't understand what the !@#$ is going on. I write September 11th, I'm not sure whether I should cancel it or void it because I've already deferred it twice. I really really suck at this section, and am never confident with any of the questions (it feels like I am guessing on all of them.) Has anyone been in this situation where they read and then don't know what they just read? Or have tried to read something, but the main point is not coming through?

Hey Verbal Trouble,

Have you tried reading paragraph by paragraph. Usually in the verbal section of the MCAT there is a main point. I mean think about it: Why would an author sit down and write an essay; he or she has a point they're trying to get across. Often times they present pros and cons to their point of view and if the author present more pros then you know he or she supports the argument.

Again, try reading the passage paragraph by paragraph. After reading the first paragraph make a mental note as to what that paragraph was about. And do the same thing for each of the other paragraphs. When you've finished reading the whole passage, take a look at the passage (the mental notes you've made paragraph by paragraph) again and you should see a link. That should be the main point of the passage.

Sometimes a passage may be hard but remember you won't get 7 Killer passages; at most you'll get two. Just keep reading because if a passage may seem ridiculous in the first paragraph it may become easier as you read along or maybe the questions will be a lot easier. Give it a chance and keep a positive attitude.

Good Luck!

Hey Verbal Trouble,

Have you tried reading paragraph by paragraph. Usually in the verbal section of the MCAT there is a main point. I mean think about it: Why would an author sit down and write an essay; he or she has a point they're trying to get across. Often times they present pros and cons to their point of view and if the author present more pros then you know he or she supports the argument.

Again, try reading the passage paragraph by paragraph. After reading the first paragraph make a mental note as to what that paragraph was about. And do the same thing for each of the other paragraphs. When you've finished reading the whole passage, take a look at the passage (the mental notes you've made paragraph by paragraph) again and you should see a link. That should be the main point of the passage.

Sometimes a passage may be hard but remember you won't get 7 Killer passages; at most you'll get two. Just keep reading because if a passage may seem ridiculous in the first paragraph it may become easier as you read along or maybe the questions will be a lot easier. Give it a chance and keep a positive attitude.

Good Luck!

You sir are automatically my best friend because of your user name. Lupe=Legend

Archived