Premed 101 Forums

Some school suggestions

Guest Forward22

Guest Forward22

Hello guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum

I'm going into 4th yr of life sci study and planning to apply to med school next summer.

My AMCAS gpa is 4.0 :D (according to the forum post)

My MCAT score is 11/8/14 P ugh verbal :(

I am planning to rewrite this upcoming January.

I guess improvements i make on future MCAT is a factor in choosing schools to apply.

I was considering some schools in schools at northeast states (close to Ontario) hehe :P

Do you have some school suggestions?

(I am Canadian citizen without any U.S. affiliations)

And do you guys know if MCAT rewrite would affect my application negatively?

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Medical School Admissions Requirements book by AAMC. You can either buy it or check it out at your local reference library. It has admissions information on all the American Universities that use AMCAS as part of their admissions process.

Regarding the re-write, I'm not too sure.

Hello guys,

I'm pretty new to this forum

I'm going into 4th yr of life sci study and planning to apply to med school next summer.

My AMCAS gpa is 4.0 :D (according to the forum post)

My MCAT score is 11/8/14 P ugh verbal :(

I am planning to rewrite this upcoming January.

I guess improvements i make on future MCAT is a factor in choosing schools to apply.

I was considering some schools in schools at northeast states (close to Ontario) hehe :P

Do you have some school suggestions?

(I am Canadian citizen without any U.S. affiliations)

And do you guys know if MCAT rewrite would affect my application negatively?

Thanks in advance!

If you want a chance at western and queens, you'll have to rewrite. For american medical schools, your mcat is awesome so I wouldn't rewrite if I were you.

hey Forward22,

Your MCAT is very similar to mine (just swap the 14 and 11, and change P to Q lol), your gpa absolutely kicks butt compared to mine (and many other applicants in the US i'm sure), and I got interviews at Wayne State and EVMS. Other places you can consider are UMaryland, Rosalind Franklin, SUNY Upstate, NYMC, Jefferson, GW. I suggest you take a look at the thread that's been stickied on the top of this forum (about Cdn-friendly USA schools) for more school suggestions.

Good luck - and regarding the re-write, it won't look "negative", and you can try doing it if you think you can raise the verbal enough to get into a higher-tier school if that's what you're aiming for. If you don't re-write, then apply broadly like me and hope and pray that someone will forgive you for the 8VR .. after all, your GPA is amazing!!

• 1 month later...

Hey

On my 1st MCAT, I got 9 on VR, but on the 2nd try, I got 8 :(

Would most schools look at my most recent score and screw me over?

It's so frustrating b/c VR was pretty much the only thing I studied the whole summer and it went down. On the other hand, I spent 1 day on going over the essay stuff, and I went up from R to T :(:(:(

Each school seems to look at MCAT scores differently... some will take your best scores from each category if you took it multiple times. It'll depend on each individual school. Definitetly apply broadly, apply early, and have a look at the thread with the list of Canadian friendly schools.

Archived